12v dc supply ?

ven2112

just wondering if any auto leccys on here could help me out with a question please, just bought a motor & the chap who had it before had a cb radio in it , he has left the 12v dc cable on the upper parcel shelf, it has a switch in the line & i was wondering if i could use it to wire in my dash cam? or will it blow it up ?
eek.gif
, it was my understanding that the ciggie lighter /accessory plug was 12v anyway, tried my cam today just by plugging it in the lighter socket & worked fine, thing is i want to "hard wire it" so no cables lying about , also this cable has a switch in which would mean i can turn off the cam independently, if its plugged in it starts when the key is turned at the moment & just like the facility of being able to turn it off/ on when i want , the reason im asking is because of this

Capture.png

& this

2.png

am i correct in assuming that 5v is a "minimum "requirement? , like i said plugged it in to test it earlier in the ciggi lighter & worked fine

thanks chaps

cheers for the reply, kinda sorted now though , although the line "didn't " have a switch in , can anyone advise how to add a on / off switch to a permanent live feed ??

if your dashcam is 12v,and i do believe it is,you should have no trouble using that cable as a power source.make sure it is a fused power source tho.as far as wiring a switch,just cut the cable and install a switch in series.of course you are going to want to route the wire to a dash switch of some kind.easy peasy.

Back