A Buyers Guide To The Best Box

Hi there,

Newbie here so please go easy. I'm after a box to replace my openbox. I would like to get HD channels so I've settled on a cable connection via my VM broadband line. I would like to be able to pause and rewind live tv and record 1 channel whilst watching another. My research suggests that the VU+ solo se v2 should meet these requirements. Can somebody please confirm?

Also, are there any other boxes I should be looking at?

Budget is around £200-£250.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mo.

Hi there,

Newbie here so please go easy. I'm after a box to replace my openbox. I would like to get HD channels so I've settled on a cable connection via my VM broadband line. I would like to be able to pause and rewind live tv and record 1 channel whilst watching another. My research suggests that the VU+ solo se v2 should meet these requirements. Can somebody please confirm?

Also, are there any other boxes I should be looking at?

Budget is around £200-£250.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mo.

Hi all,

With sly blocking the channels I'm now looking to get new cable box as I already have VM broadband installed.

I want a twin tuner so that I can record and watch another channel, but how would this work with the single VM line coming from the wall? (It currently goes to the VM router)
Do I need to split the line 3 ways? I.e 2 going the the twin tuner and 1 going to VM router? Advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi all,

With sly blocking the channels I'm now looking to get new cable box as I already have VM broadband installed.

I want a twin tuner so that I can record and watch another channel, but how would this work with the single VM line coming from the wall? (It currently goes to the VM router)
Do I need to split the line 3 ways? I.e 2 going the the twin tuner and 1 going to VM router? Advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Some receivers split inside some have a loop wire supplied with the receiver, and some receivers come with nothing so you have to make a loop of or as you say use a splitter and take two cables to the receiver.

Personally I would use the loop method form tuner A to tuner B

Some receivers split inside some have a loop wire supplied with the receiver, and some receivers come with nothing so you have to make a loop of or as you say use a splitter and take two cables to the receiver.

Personally I would use the loop method form tuner A to tuner B
Got it, thanks for the quick reply.

hi all, cant find a zgemma i55 tread, so hope this is ok on here, could anyone recommend a supplier of the zgemma i55 complete with sly skin and a decent 1 year sub please.
replacening an openbox .
many thanks

hi all, cant find a zgemma i55 tread, so hope this is ok on here, could anyone recommend a supplier of the zgemma i55 complete with sly skin and a decent 1 year sub please.
replacening an openbox .
many thanks
sat is more or less dead

I have a Zgemma H2S. It has a 500gb hard drive attached so recording is no problem.

It works well with FTV channels still, and I do have IPTV loaded on it too. Pretty useless for live sports, but has a few good movie apps, etc.

So, despite all the Sky channels going dark, it's not ready to be used as a doorstep- not yet, anyway.

Hello... im new,but been into home cinema for years. So ive had slyhd, still got the dish and cables in place. I moved to vm 18 months ago with 200mb down and a teevo. The vm box is rubbish..so slow its painful. What would be my best options? A friend has got a vu+ solo2 and is raving about it, but im confused..anyone offer advice please?

A twin cable tuner, something like the one you mentioned above is your best option.

Vu+ Solo SE V2 Twin Tuner DVB-C/T/T2 Cable / Terrestrial Linux HD PVR Ready Receiver

DVB-C is a cable tuner
DVB-S2 is a sat tuner

Make sure you buy a cable box.

Pre flashed with openvix. Add a HDD and you can record one channel and watch another.
Good EPG, quick box, VU have a good reputation.

If something happened to c/s on cable you could still use it for IPTV so you keep your options open.

Then have a read here

Last edited:
All of them will be fine, if you buy a 4K box
you will need to run your line in oscam so it's
a slightly different setup to the guide I linked in the above thread.

There are guides on oscam on here by dangerous.

Never liked the mutant remote to be honest, or the shape of the Xtrend but each
to their own, they will all do what you need.

Alot of boxes now come with swappable tuners,
so you can buy 1,2,3,4 (depending on the main board)

etc and choose combinations of sat or cable, they aren't free,
it's just the way they price different boxes :grin:

Last edited:
Personally if you are looking at IPTV I would go with a Mag256
Really easy to use and set up.

Box is designed for IPTV rather than using a sat box and plugins.

The best option would still be cable if you can get it in your area.

The HD channels are proper HD.

Back