A Buyers Guide To The Best Box

Hello... im new,but been into home cinema for years. So ive had slyhd, still got the dish and cables in place. I moved to vm 18 months ago with 200mb down and a teevo. The vm box is rubbish..so slow its painful. What would be my best options? A friend has got a vu+ solo2 and is raving about it, but im confused..anyone offer advice please?
Depends on your budget, I have a VU+Uno4K (cable) which basically has 8 cable tuners and is 4K, slightly cheaper there is the new Zgemma h7C which again is 4k and has a twin cable tuner and single sat tuner. Or for about half the price there is the H5.2tc which again has twin cable tuner and single sat tuner.

The Vu+ Uno and H5.2tc only require one cable input, the H7C requires 2 cable inputs. At the moment there is nothing on cable shown in 4K but a 4K box should be future proof if we do start to see 4K broadcasts

Depends on your budget, I have a VU+Uno4K (cable) which basically has 8 cable tuners and is 4K, slightly cheaper there is the new Zgemma h7C which again is 4k and has a twin cable tuner and single sat tuner. Or for about half the price there is the H5.2tc which again has twin cable tuner and single sat tuner.

The Vu+ Uno and H5.2tc only require one cable input, the H7C requires 2 cable inputs. At the moment there is nothing on cable shown in 4K but a 4K box should be future proof if we do start to see 4K broadcasts
I bought a solo2 on sat...its not the best..on the fta channels ok, is there a guide on how to install a cable box? My friends dad is buying the solo2 off me

Last edited:
Looking to buy a Virmin & Iptv box preferably a 4k one. Could anyone give me some suggestions. Cheapest one I've found is a Ferguson ariva 4k one.

The Ferguson is an android based box and has a single cable tuner., single sat and single terrestrial tuners You could look at the H7C which is an Enigma2 based box which can still run IPTV and it has twin cable/terrestrial hybrid tuners as well as the single sat so if you intend to record one cable channel while watching another it would be better option. The downside is it is about £40 more than the Ferguson. Or you could up your budget another £30-£40 then something like the VU+ Uno 4K which has 8 cable tuners.

The Ferguson is an android based box and has a single cable tuner., single sat and single terrestrial tuners You could look at the H7C which is an Enigma2 based box which can still run IPTV and it has twin cable/terrestrial hybrid tuners as well as the single sat so if you intend to record one cable channel while watching another it would be better option. The downside is it is about £40 more than the Ferguson. Or you could up your budget another £30-£40 then something like the VU+ Uno 4K which has 8 cable tuners.

Im looking at the Technomate TM-Twin 4K tuner & Mutant HD51 4K UHD Tuners has anyone got any reviews regarding these.

Someone posted the new technomate 4K over heats badly. The mutant is a good box but requires a loop through if you get 2 cable tuners. Have a look at the octagon SF4008 only needs 1 feed for a twin tuner, I have works flawless and supports internal HDD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello
Looking to change my existing Edision OS MINI 1x DVB-C/T/T2 for a box with dual cable tuners and single or dual sat tuners, allowing more recording options.

For dual cable tuners is a splitter better option or a single feed in and the box doing the splitting.

Which is the best and reliable box to buy at a reasonable cost, around £150-170.

Help greatly appreciated.

Hello
For dual cable tuners is a splitter better option or a single feed in and the box doing the splitting.

Which is the best and reliable box to buy at a reasonable cost, around £150-170.

I've used the H5.2tc (£90) and the H7C 4K (£190), the first has a single cable feed and is split internally, the 2nd requires 2 feeds. I've not noticed any difference between the two kinds of tuners.

Hello
Looking to change my existing Edision OS MINI 1x DVB-C/T/T2 for a box with dual cable tuners and single or dual sat tuners, allowing more recording options.

It all depends on signal strength, so the more you split the feed the chance of more issues. Having a box which splits the tuner internally therefore is a better option. For your budget, a fairly good box would be the technomate tm namo m2 plus £138, has 1 sat and twin cable so only requires 1 feed connected, also supports internal HDD.

The cheapest option as mentioned above is the zgemma H5.2tc, Have a good look round WOS to find the right and best box for you.

Sorry if slightly off topic....cable box (zgemma or Tech) with decent line and Vermin Broadband will provide access to all sly channels in HD?

Thanks

Sorry if slightly off topic....cable box (zgemma or Tech) with decent line and Vermin Broadband will provide access to all sly channels in HD?

Thanks

It depends how you define all sly channels? You won't get all, only those listed by virmin, example they don't have sly Atlantic.

You don't actually need virmin broadband as long as your line / feed is still live. Most prefer however to sub virmin to keep active.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi
Currently have a ZGemma 2s with one Sat line and IPTV, recording onto a USB drive powered by the box (have no issues with recording). Am running my own build of Enigma2.

Am thinking of upgrading the box as the IPTV side of things isn't great on the Zgemma, constantly freezing and have tried a few providers now. Browsing the net keeps throwing up the Edison OS Mega - anyone have any experience of this or recommend another box to suit my needs, under £150/€200 please?

Thanks

Matt

Hi
Currently have a ZGemma 2s with one Sat line and IPTV, recording onto a USB drive powered by the box (have no issues with recording). Am running my own build of Enigma2.

Am thinking of upgrading the box as the IPTV side of things isn't great on the Zgemma, constantly freezing and have tried a few providers now. Browsing the net keeps throwing up the Edison OS Mega - anyone have any experience of this or recommend another box to suit my needs, under £150/€200 please?

Thanks

Matt

if you cant get cable and Sat is your only option then for the sake of another £19 go for a really fast box like the Mutant HD 51 £169

Looking at a satellite box upgrade myself, and wanting something that's going to last so looking at a 4K one even though I can't afford a 4k projector yet!

Octagon SF4008 seems to be getting lots of good writeups, but also a Vu+ Uno 4K seems like an option too. I'd like triple tuner so I can have a dedicated input for my motor, a dedicated 28e feed and a 28/19.2 on a diseqc switch which is why the Octagon is top of my list at the minute.

Currently have a cheap & cheerful Zgemma H2S - gets a bit sluggish with a multisat setup so want something that is fast and responsive even under load.

Last edited:
Just to throw a curveball into the mix I just priced up the Solo & Ultimo and wasn't as horrified as I first thought. I've not yet found any good reading on how the FBC tuners work though - presumably I need new LNBs to make that work?

Hmm, read up and realise there will be more expense switching over to unicable lnbs. Suppose it's an option but not convinced it's worth the effort.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

have a chat with @ste - he can point you in the direction of 28/19.2 on a diseqc switch? Motorised? General Satellite stuff.
Sorry, wasn't clear. Already got that set up. Currently have my rotor, and a direct feed from 19.2 and 28 into a 4 port switch.

My multi tuner requirement is for watching stuff in different rooms in parallel, as well as recording. So a new shiny fast box with 3 tuners seems like my minimum requirement.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Back