Advice Needed For Mounting a Flat Screen on Plasterboard Walls

Hi all,

I wonder if any one in the know can give me a bit of advice regarding mounting a flat screen tv on a wall. The house we live in is a pre 1940's house that has a brick outer and plaster board stub walls as an interior - well if you can call them stub walls. The plasterboard seems to be studded to the wall in 1 foot intervals along the outer edge of the wall and hollow in the center. We're wanting to mount our tv on the chimney breast, but tapping on the plasterboard to see where it's hollow makes it seem as though there's not a lot of brickwork and this only seems to be around where the actual fire is. Is there a way to get it up there without having to cut a large chunk out of the wall to add a support baton? Or is this going to be the only way seeing as there may not be a lot of brick work up top to fasten the wall mount to?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Code:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6240445_mount-lcd-tv-plasterboard-wall.html

Sorry

Last edited:
you really want to try cutting out the plater board and fitting some battens to the wall it may seem a bigger job but while i had the holes in the wall i managed to fish all the cables through at the same time and it worked out just fine and looked really good with no cables on display.

one thing i would suggest if putting cables in walls can you run it through conduit,the reason i asked is what happens when new tv comes and you need extra cables,and dont use cheap cables as they will give you a crappy picture,when i added wooden conduit i routed 2 hdmi cables ,1 aerial cable for saorview and 1 cable coaxial from a vcr[removed] and replaced with sat box,dont need a lan feed at tv but its at sat box,2 x 30 scart leads at the time would have been to bulky so i got scart to hdmi converters to run picture through the hdmi cables.

so think ahead of what you may want.
power feed for tv+ anything else hidden
hdmi cables 1-4 as extra things get added
lan feed if you get a smart tv
digital spdif/toslink or digital coaxial or both?
and most important a spare wire to pull new cables through.
if you have a pc vga / dvi needed?
one reason to think ahead.

the large adhesive conduit units used by electricians , they are about 2-3 ins wide, they are strong enough for the job, stick then to the wall where your tv hanger needs screwing to, when they are up you simply screw the tv hanger to them then hang your tv, i the plasterboard is within 3-4 in from the wall get the screws that are used to hang external door frames drill the holes put the plastic thingys on the screw tap into place with a hammer then screw them home, sorry is this post do not make much sense, as the mens have kicked in.

you only hav a few options considering the value of your tv and the problems you will encounter if it comes off the wall, have you tried an electronic stud finder probably less than £15 in argos, at least this would confirm the positions of your existing studwork, and give you an indication of fixing points, self drilling plasterboard fittings although could be used, however you should check on what weight is recommended when being used, spring loaded toggle fixings which are inserted through a 10mm predrilled hole, would spread the load over a greater area and would give you a less messy option than opening the wall, fixing directly to brick is obviously the best option other thann that how to proceed and how secure your tv mount would be up to you, good luck
kind regards
skaboo

Whatever you do dont fix it to the plasterboard!!! Mark out the region of plasterboard you need to remove.
Grab a stanley and carefully score along the lines until you break through. Keep the section of plasterboard you remove.
Pick up some Concrete-and-Masonry-Wall-Anchors and "hammer action" drill the correct size holes for em in the wall. Measure the gap between the wall and the inner side of the drywall (platerboard). Your wood batons will need to be this size. Fix the batons to the anchor points. Run whatever cables you want inside the wall. Put back the drywall cut out and screw it to the batons. Get some filler and fill in the edges you cut out. When dry you can paint. Now you have your support batons for your telly where you need em. Don´t over tighten the screws or you will crush the plasterboard. Job done!!!!

I had this problem in a flat I used to live in i got a thick piece of ply and screwed it straight on the plasterboard through the studs and then hung the tv on the ply, you can either knock to find the stud or buy a stud/joist finder (waste of money)

ino this is old but mabie it will help someone elce

Back