Advise on a building a DVB HTPC

Batman679

Well the boss lady is driving me mad about not having OD on the satellite box, She is looking for a setup like the sly+ box. I am researching this at the mo, I am thinking of using Kodi and WMC for both Satellite and OD but am not sure can I use a n-line with them, can't find mention of compatibility anywhere. I see that there are hybrid boxes coming out of china now but they run on android and my experience of Kodi and android on a MX6 box are bad as the sound and video can be way out of sync at times, where as running on windows has never throw up problems. I know that you can do something!!! with an enigma2 box and Kodi, my understanding of this is it is done through UPnP but that is where my knowledge stops. I'm still trawling the net for ideas and pointer so if anyone has advise or has done something similar that would be great. Cheers.

I have a solo2 twin tuner box with sly skin and epg, I then use a 9.99 nowTV box for OD/catch-up, as I'm very happy with my supplier and the NowTV box is ideal at a tenner, hope that helps.

How much do you have to spend?

Does size of the box matter?

VU+ boxes are expensive for just the box you are looking at £250 then you need to add hard drive which starts at about £40 then the tv sub if you want one (VU+ boxes are good boxes but I think they are really over priced for limited hardware & all the Enigma2 boxes can run On Demand)

Which box do you currently have?

Thanks mortmaru. Have a skybox f5s as a starter as I'm only new enough to this hobby. How do I go about running On Demand on Enigma2? What would you recommend as a set up?

If you want something that looks just like Sly box but only watch one channel no recording another channel like the current box you have then you can pickup a cheap box like iBox 2 Plus for about £60 you can put your nline on this there is also a plugin for ondemand.

Depending who your provider is you could use the box you currently have in another location in the house if you have sat feed or install one.

I prefer the HTPC route but it costs £250-300 and will allow alot more.

I like the idea of the HTPC route myself, I'm fine on the hardware side of things but am weak on the software side eg. what software to use for DVB, need to be able to use n-line for the family. My provider is good, can use up to three boxes on same ip. Needs more research. Thanks for the info Mortmaru, everything helps.

Openelec operating system - Free

Tvheadend PVR software - Free

OSCAM for your nline - free

Last edited:
Alternatively, Windows 7, Smart DVB (or DVB Dream or ProgDVB), Oscam or Acamd (these are softcam plugins for a line). XBMC (now called Kodi), and you still have all the normal advantages of a pc running windows

---------- Post Merged at 12:40 PM ----------

Note: The PC will need a satellite receiver card, popular ones are Skystar and Twinhan, but loads more are available.

Thanks for the help guys, think I will go with both a enigma2 box for the sitting room with OD and a HTPC for the projector, that way I can emulate the ps3 games on windows and use the F5S in the kitchen. Dame this site, it's costing me a forturelol

Thanks for the help guys, think I will go with both a enigma2 box for the sitting room with OD and a HTPC for the projector, that way I can emulate the ps3 games on windows and use the F5S in the kitchen. Dame this site, it's costing me a forturelol

Pickup a cheap enigma2 box it will atleast add a proper epg for about £60 or do as someone else suggested nowtv box only cost about £15 which is best option if not going with htpc OD app is almost useless on E2 boxes now.

You can't emulate PS3 games.

Last edited:
Back