Aintree hero McCain dies

joekingman

VIP Member
TK Supporter
September 19, 2011

Aintree legend Ginger McCain, trainer of the great Red Rum, has died aged 80.

Gnger-McCain-Red-Rum-stables_2654643.jpg

McCain: Died on Monday

McCain saddled Red Rum to win the Grand National three times, in 1973, 1974 and 1977, before winning the Aintree marathon for a fourth time with Amberleigh House in 2004.

McCain's wife Beryl said: "Donald, Ginger as we all knew him, passed away peacefully in his sleep after a short illness this morning - he would have been 81 on Wednesday.

"There will be a private family funeral followed by a later memorial service, for which there will be more information in the coming weeks.

"Joanne, Donald Jnr and I appreciate all the kindness we are being shown and, at this difficult time, would appreciate it if we were afforded some privacy."

Beginnings

McCain began his training career as a permit holder in 1953 and took out a full licence in 1969 when his stables were behind his car showroom in Southport.

He worked as a taxi driver to ********** his income as a trainer prior to finding Grand National success. It was as a taxi driver that he became acquainted with Noel le Mare for whom he bought Red Rum.

He retired after the 2006 Grand National and handed over the licence to his son Donald, who maintained the family tradition by winning this year's race with Ballabriggs from their base at Cholmondeley in Cheshire.

Tributes

Former leading National Hunt jockey Mick Fitzgerald, who won the Grand National on Rough Quest in 1996, has paid tribute to McCain.

"I'm very saddened. He leaves a legacy and every time you think of the Grand National, you think of Ginger. He was the National, to be honest," Fitzgerald told Sky Sports News.

"If you ever wanted a controversial quote, you always spoke to Ginger. He was never afraid to speak his mind, he believed in what he was doing and he believed foremost in the Grand National as a race.

"He was a great ambassador for our sport and racing needs characters like him.

"It's a very sad day for everybody and especially anybody involved with the Grand National.

"He trained the legendary Red Rum to win three Grand Nationals and he also won a Scottish National with the horse. He wasn't just a one-trick pony.

"He was a real character who always had something good to say. He was a very interesting man.

"His son, Donald, has taken over the reins quite magnificently and won the National with Ballabriggs.

"The first thing Ginger said after the race was 'I trained him well' and I think that just about sums him up.

"He leaves a great family behind him and I'm sure they'll be very sad. My best wishes are with them.

"Every time I think of him I smile. The Grand National will forever be remembered as his race."

Reigning champion trainer Paul Nicholls added: "Ginger will be sorely missed.

He knew his horses very well, he had an affinity with Aintree and he knew what it took to win the big race.

"He was a top man with horses from the Grand National.

"Legend is the right name for him."

The "voice of racing" Sir Peter O'Sullevan commentated on all of Red Rum's Nationals for the BBC and believes McCain played a big part in helping to save the race.

"It was a career of remarkable achievement and he has bred a good trainer himself," he said.

"He will always be remembered for Red Rum and rightly so because he and the horse appeared absolutely at the right time and were very much instrumental in saving the National at a period when it was very much in peril.

"Red Rum had a remarkable record. Five runs in the National, three victories and two seconds - unbelievable. And then he won it again years later with Amberleigh House.

"It was nice for Ginger to have the opportunity to show he wasn't just a one-horse trainer.

"He was a professional curmudgeon and he goes behind leaving very good memories."

GINGER McCAIN - WHAT THEY SAID (via Twitter)

Paul Nicholls: Sad to hear of death of Ginger McCain.What a legend. Condolences to Donald and all his family.

Tony McCoy: Sad to hear about the death of aintree legend Ginger McCain trainer of the great red rum,my thoughts are with his family R.I.P

Clare Balding: Very sad for Beryl, Donald & the rest of the McCain family. Ginger McCain was 3 days short of his 81st birthday. He was an old-fashioned type & said what he thought but he was a character alright.

Richard Fahey: Sad news about Ginger McCain. #grandnationallegend.

Nick Luck: Ginger McCain - forthright and uncompromising, but kind and with real love for the sport. Tremendous man.

Matt Chapman: Ahhhh Ginger McCain. What a character. Hope he's already met up with 'Rummy' to fly over an unaltered Becher's Brook together. #legend

Daryl Jacob: Really sad to hear the death of a racing legend Ginger McCain,R.I.P.

Barry Geraghty: Very sad to hear of the passing of Ginger McCain, he was a proper racing legend

Davy Russell: Very sad 2 hear of the passing of Ginger McCain thoughts are with his family

Mick Channon: A proper bloke Ginger McCain. Sad to hear of his passing and our thoughts are with his family. He made people sit up, listen and smile.

Michael Owen: So sad to hear Ginger McCain has passed away. Thoughts are with Donald and the McCain family from your friends 'next door' at Manor House.

Back