All my channels are intermittently freezing after a broadband upgrade. Need help!

Help!! All my channels are intermittently freezing after a broadband upgrade.
I have been running boxes for years with no issues and a good line supplier. I'm with Virgin Media formerly UPC in Ireland.
I had 120 MB solid broadband and no freezing. Decided to upgrade to the new 360 MB this week as we have so many devices running in the house.
Got a new modem delivered and installed but now all my 3 TV's are scrambling like mad. It's not the lines as I have 20 with same supplier for my mates and no one else has issues.
I'm had been using WIFI on SV8 boxes and all worked perfectly but since the upgrade something is causing scrambling. Have connected one box directly to the modem and the others with home plugs but scrambling issues are still the same. Any ideas what has changed with my Virgin broadband since I've upgraded and what can I do to check it or resolve it. Thanks.

When you upgrade or get a new isp the first few days they are working on your Internet from there end getting you the best speed possible. They should of said the first few days service can be bumpy if it dosent get better tell them you want to go back

Last edited:
It could be the new modem, have you checked the settings to make sure its not blocking your line providers port?

Help!! All my channels are intermittently freezing after a broadband upgrade.
I have been running boxes for years with no issues and a good line supplier. I'm with Virgin Media formerly UPC in Ireland.
I had 120 MB solid broadband and no freezing. Decided to upgrade to the new 360 MB this week as we have so many devices running in the house.
Got a new modem delivered and installed but now all my 3 TV's are scrambling like mad. It's not the lines as I have 20 with same supplier for my mates and no one else has issues.
I'm had been using WIFI on SV8 boxes and all worked perfectly but since the upgrade something is causing scrambling. Have connected one box directly to the modem and the others with home plugs but scrambling issues are still the same. Any ideas what has changed with my Virgin broadband since I've upgraded and what can I do to check it or resolve it. Thanks.

Judging by the description of your problem, as the problem is intermittent it means that your boxes are able to access your line provider server otherwise all your channels would be scrambled. One suggestion, if you still have your old router look at all the settings like WLAN, firewall etc. and ensure the same rules/configuration is applied on your new router. Take a backup of the configuration of your new router before you make any change so you can roll back if you experience any problem. If you are familiar with the PING command, you could try pinging your line provider server to see what reply speed you receive.

When you upgrade or get a new isp the first few days they are working on your Internet from there end getting you the best speed possible. They should of said the first few days service can be bumpy if it dosent get better tell them you want to go back

You were spot on dillyp70. Contacted Virgin and was informed that it take a few days to settle down after an upgrade. All working fine now again. Cheers mate.

Count yourselves lucky.
I get 8mb download on a good day and run 3 boxes, 2 computers and 3 phones on the wifi as well !
And don't suffer much with glitching except between 7-9pm some nights.

Hi,
I have the same problem , where the picture and sound freeze for a few seconds and then starts again ( normally watching football and someone is about to score!!) I have had my broadband with SSE for about 4 months and have tried different routers. have about 15 download speed. It seems quite random when it occurs. Any idea what my problem may be?
Thanks
Paul

Hi,
I have the same problem , where the picture and sound freeze for a few seconds and then starts again ( normally watching football and someone is about to score!!) I have had my broadband with SSE for about 4 months and have tried different routers. have about 15 download speed. It seems quite random when it occurs. Any idea what my problem may be?
Thanks
Paul

SSE is a re-seller and they are supplied by Daisy Communications, I know this as I was with them for a very short time, my line NEVER worked correctly with them either, its glitched and freezed all the time and that was down to the high ping rate I had with SSE, not matter how many line providers I tried nothing fixed it until I bitched and bitched to be released from my contract and moved to Plusnet then perfect stable line.

Sorry but I tried every I could think of to make my line stable with SSE and never found a solution, it was always worse on an evening and weekend for me. I hope you get it sorted mate

Hi Blackwidow,
Thanks for the reply. Not the info I wanted to hear though. I've had many problems with SSE since I joined them (not all their fault). But not sure I'll be able to get out of my contract. Hoped there would be a simple solution that I missed. Thanks.

Hi Blackwidow,
Thanks for the reply. Not the info I wanted to hear though. I've had many problems with SSE since I joined them (not all their fault). But not sure I'll be able to get out of my contract. Hoped there would be a simple solution that I missed. Thanks.

I wish I could have given you better news mate, I know lots joined as they were cheaper on prices and line rental but the service is poor, just look at the crap/outdated router they supply lol. I got better line stability via mobile broadband than I did via SSE.

Back