Android Box Or Mag Box

leejon123

hello guys I'm looking to change from my current zgemma H.2S due to the loss of many channels on sat.i have virgin broadband fibre optic but no virmin box,could you please advise what would be the best set up I dont do any gaming it is just purely for sly sports and and films it must have a good epg and be able to record.im not bothered about the cost i just want the best.thanks

Device is irrelevant for recording. The mag is better but it'll only have epg if your server supports epg. You can only record if your server supports it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say android as you can get a mag emulator app. It's no different to use your sub on a MAG box plus with android you can use kodi and other apps

Amiko A4 combo.
Use the sat tuner with a motorised dish.( if you want)
Cable tuner for Virmin
Perfect player for IPTV
Kodi for everything else.
All in one little box

I've been looking for at the same scenario. And if you want to go down the route of Android box, best setup would be kodi. Perfect player seems OK, but could be issues with epg.

Then the other option would be to load iptv on to your h.2s. There have been some tutorial recently which show how to do it and it's basically setup similar to when you had sly. Ie, the missing channels can be replaced within your bouquets.

The UI on mag doesn't work for me. Seems very old school.

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

leejon123 as you have VM bb no need to even look towards iptv (unless its for the 3pm kickoffs but the season has finished now anyway)
You are far better to go the cable box route as only the encription is cleared via the net rather than full streaming of everything!

I also have VM bb & have been testing iptv with mixed results depending on the device used but none are as smooth as VM bb with a cable box & cable sub, with IPTV you can receive FHD which is higher than a standard cable box putting out 1080 although you can buy higher resolution cable boxes IF you need 2k/4k.
The better cable boxes will also record one channel while watching another channel at the same time (something thats not so easy on IPTV without paying more)

IF you have VM bb then a cable box is the no1 one way to go (you can always add IPTV to your cable box IF needed to get the best of both worlds)

Last edited:
leejon123 as you have VM bb no need to even look towards iptv (unless its for the 3pm kickoffs but the season has finished now anyway)
You are far better to go the cable box route as only the encription is cleared via the net rather than full streaming of everything!

I also have VM bb & have been testing iptv with mixed results depending on the device used but none are as smooth as VM bb with a cable box & cable sub, with IPTV you can receive FHD which is higher than a standard cable box putting out 1080 although you can buy higher resolution cable boxes IF you need 2k/4k.
The better cable boxes will also record one channel while watching another channel at the same time (something thats not so easy on IPTV without paying more)

IF you have VM bb then a cable box is the no1 one way to go (you can always add IPTV to your cable box IF needed to get the best of both worlds)
hi m8 when you say cable box route do you mean i would need to subscribe to virgin and get there box?then get a cable sub?

As long as whatever box you buy has a cable tuner.
disconnect your cable from the virgin hub, put a splitter on the end of it. Now you'll have two outputs, connect one back to your virgin hub and the other to the box. then get a cable line, add it to the box. Done.

As long as whatever box you buy has a cable tuner.
disconnect your cable from the virgin hub, put a splitter on the end of it. Now you'll have two outputs, connect one back to your virgin hub and the other to the box. then get a cable line, add it to the box. Done.
my hub is upstairs and my box will be downstairs will it work with wireless or will i need tp links

hi m8 when you say cable box route do you mean i would need to subscribe to virgin and get there box?then get a cable sub?

The cheap option is to just put IPTV on your h2s but as you already have VM bb you are best advised to use a cable box
(not official box, something like the h2h/Edision mega or any of the many cable boxes available, the 4k boxes do cost but are worth it imo)

You would need a new box with cable tuners plus a cable sub that you can get from here.... I have an Edision as my cable box but also have sat boxes & a couple of other divices that Im testing IPTV on...conclusion is IF you want to stay cheap... just get IPTV on your box... but... for better more fluid viewing while keeping the sky/vm look we get from using skins buy a cable box & sub...as a side thought..you could get a cable box & sub then add an IPTV sub also, its a bit dear this way although you would have the best of all worlds on your cable box plus you could still use your h2s as multiroom on the IPTV side.

it all depends how much you want to spend & what to get out of your box...just watch TV or have all the functions we had before plus extras

Last edited:
The cheap option is to just put IPTV on your h2s but as you already have VM bb you are best advised to use a cable box (not official box, something like the h2h/Edision mega or any of the many cable boxes available, the 4k boxes do cost but are worth it imo)
You would need a new box with cable tuners plus a cable sub that you can get from here.... I have an Edision as my cable box but also have sat boxes & a couple of other divices that Im testing IPTV on...conclusion is IF you want to stay cheap... just get IPTV on your box... but... for better more fluid viewing while keeping the sky/vm look we get from using skins buy a cable box & sub...as a side thought..you could get a cable box & sub then add an IPTV sub also, its a bit dear this way although you would have the best of all worlds on your cable box plus you could still use your h2s as multiroom on the IPTV side.

it all depends how much you want to spend & what to get out of your box...just watch TV or have all the functions we had before plus extras
Thanks for your time Beakyford much appreciated - i want the best set up for watching live sports HD Quality / also good EPG and must have recording facility im not really bothered about the cost to be honest i just want something that works well,thanks again

Hi,
Sorry to cut in. I previously had an openbox with an n-line which has now jacked and I'm looking to buy a box similar to leejon123. Ideally get shot of my sky box so epg and recording functionality is a preference. Any suggestions buddy?
Thanks, P.

Back