Another NEWBIE needing help

aaronm13

Hi all. I signed up to this forum last week and have been reading up like crazy trying to get up to speed before I take the plunge. I have a someone local (Dublin, Ireland) to get my subscription off but he also sells boxes which sounds like the easy approach to take but I'll learn nothing this way. Also he is only selling a skybox for satellite for 100 euro or an Amiko combo for UPC cable for 150 euro. Both these boxes seem expensive for such a basic one so reckon I can get a much higher spec box for around the same price and learn while I go. I think I'm going to get a UPC cable subscription as I want the HD channels so I'm leaning towards a combo box. I have a sky feed and UPC in my apartment so at least with a combo box if one service goes down I have another to fall back on.

The two boxes I have in mind are the Amiko Alien triple tuner and the Gigablue HD800 combo, leaning more towards the gigablue from World of Satellite with VIX installed, firstly is this a good option. These boxes are my price range with the Gigablue stretching it a little but if the box is better I'll live with it. I'm open to alternatives in this price range so feel free. I definitely want to get an Emigma2 box for all the plugins and also the possibility of XBMC. The wife is adamant she wants to retain as much as the Sky+ functions as possible like pause, rewind and series link so are these boxes a good option? Watching one channel while recording another would be nice be not a deal breaker to her so that's something, have to keep her happy or I'll never hear the end of it.

Going to plug a western digital passport ultra into it for recordings, will this work? Sorry for all the questions but this is the last one for now anyway. How easy are these to set up and fully working from the day I get it. I'm a total newbie at this and don't even know where to start looking for flashing software and stuff. I used to flash Eurovox and Kryptview boxes years ago so have a basic idea there but haven't done anything like this in years and from what I'm reading this stuff sounds a lot more complicated. No doubt when I have the box in front of me things will be a lot clearer but is there any total starter guides that I can read up before I get my box? any links would be greatly appreciated. Again sorry for all the questions and thanks. [h=1][/h]

Back