Any "sparks" about ?

ven2112

just took down a wall light fitting and this is the wiring , there are 3 lights all together that i was going to replace but i cant get my head around the wiring, the new lamp has the l/n/e terminals on, but this wiring on the wall has the L (red) & 2 black neutrals , the earth is on its own but the other 3 are connected by the block , i only have 1 neutral on the new light what one do i connect !! any help appreciated , cheers

fogpat.jpg

how many cables have you? the ones with grey outer sheath.
and what colours are in each cable? is there one with 2 reds? or are they all red&blac?
do you have any sort of test kit?
which light is that, the middle one? one of the lights will probably only have 1 cable with a red&black,

if you haven't got basic test kit to check for continuity or switched live or a loop circuit then leave well alone, any advice you get on here could potentially burn your house down, just get an electrician bud

even electricians that do the job day in day out still fully test the setup when they're done

if you haven't got basic test kit to check for continuity or switched live or a loop circuit then leave well alone, any advice you get on here could potentially burn your house down, just get an electrician bud

even electricians that do the job day in day out still fully test the setup when they're done
That's highly unlikely to happen, or he wouldn't have been trying to change the lights himself.
You can't see it, smell it, hear it , or taste it, but it could kill you in an instant, and people still give it a go.

I hate to be 'that guy' that says something like that but as someone who is semi-qualified at electrics I still have all my own work tested and certified as it's not worth investing in the test equipment

it would be different if it was a straight swap but as soon as theres a variable in it, you connect it up......turns out to be the wrong wire, cable overheats slowly and burns the house down as unless its a sudden surge the breaker won't trip

I hate to be 'that guy' that says something like that but as someone who is semi-qualified at electrics I still have all my own work tested and certified as it's not worth investing in the test equipment

it would be different if it was a straight swap but as soon as theres a variable in it, you connect it up......turns out to be the wrong wire, cable overheats slowly and burns the house down as unless its a sudden surge the breaker won't trip

you're right bud,
you wouldnt believe the amount of houses I go to where they have changed plastic fittings to metal and have no earth at them, the wire might be there, but its not connected at the other end
sure, it works, but when it goes wrong its going to end up in something nasty, or worse.
the problem is if I say something like that on a forum people come back with
its not that hard, look, I got it working.
well, you got it working, but is it safe?
I'll bet the same people wouldnt touch gas........

DIY specials! lol

The first 6 weeks of my C&G 2365 were as follows;
Do this = Mr Crispy
Do that = Mr Crispy
Throw a few pics in of a guy moulded to a Transformer
Oh and if you don't do this = Mr Crispy

you get the idea lol

you're right bud,
you wouldnt believe the amount of houses I go to where they have changed plastic fittings to metal and have no earth at them, the wire might be there, but its not connected at the other end
sure, it works, but when it goes wrong its going to end up in something nasty, or worse.
the problem is if I say something like that on a forum people come back with
its not that hard, look, I got it working.
well, you got it working, but is it safe?
I'll bet the same people wouldnt touch gas........

And who needs an earth? Thats what the person using the switch is for!! lol

It looks like its just a loop system m8, because there is 3 lights in the loop system then you have to loop it twice [ 3 lights ] so, the red in the 3 piece terminal is your live [ and the red in the righthand side single terminal.. is the live loop ] and as your picture is not to clear, the black [ neutral ] is looping from the righthand side of the terminal over to the lefthand side of the terminal [ the neutral loop for the next light in the loop ] so therefore use the two terminals to the righthand side of the 3 way terminal...middle is the live [ red ] & the black wire on the righthand of the 3 way terminal is your neutral for the light you are fitting at that point

It looks like its just a loop system m8, because there is 3 lights in the loop system then you have to loop it twice [ 3 lights ] so, the red in the 3 piece terminal is your live [ and the red in the righthand side single terminal.. is the live loop ] and as your picture is not to clear, the black [ neutral ] is looping from the righthand side of the terminal over to the lefthand side of the terminal [ the neutral loop for the next light in the loop ] so therefore use the two terminals to the righthand side of the 3 way terminal...middle is the live [ red ] & the black wire on the righthand of the 3 way terminal is your neutral for the light you are fitting at that point
and if you're wrong?.............:confused:

at a wild guess, and that is all this can be from a picture,
you are probably wrong,
one of those blacks is more than likely a switched LIVE
Live and neutral feed, switched Live and neutral to next light, Red & Black to switch, so that Black is actually a Live.

BTW, its now called LINE, as the neutral is also classed as Live, but Ive used terminology hopefully that is easier to understand

One of the blacks would be a switch if there was a 2 way switching on the lights...but i doubt it, and yes, the picture is not very clear to be 100%

One of the blacks would be a switch if there was a 2 way switching on the lights...but i doubt it, and yes, the picture is not very clear to be 100%
it has nothing to do with 2way switching
from the picture it appears to be 3 cables
1 red & black, live and neutral feed from mains
2 red & black , switched live and neutral to next light
3 red & black, live to switch and switch wire return

You’re both basing your assumption on the fact that it wasn’t a diy job in the first place and everything is wrong to begin with like a recent job in my own home :p lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re both basing your assumption on the fact that it wasn’t a diy job in the first place and everything is wrong to begin with like a recent job in my own home :LOL: lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
your right,
it is an assumption, but I'm basing my assumption on that it is a DIY job, like many I have seen, or at least its been an add-on at some stage and isnt original.
as that isnt how a decent spark would wire it if possible, usually it should be looped at switch,

Yes..Ven 2112 needs to give more info, to try and work out what it is [ is it...1 switch brings on 3 lights..an add on...or a loop ]

Yes..Ven 2112 needs to give more info, to try and work out what it is [ is it...1 switch brings on 3 lights..an add on...or a loop ]
I dont know what you do @wullboy , but, I think you are getting confused with the way most ceiling lights are wired using a 3plate loop system,
wall lights are very very seldom ever done like that due to the number of wires, and, if that is wired that way, it would need 4 T&E cables to work right

Back