Any "sparks" about ?

can a sparkie even work on that wiring? Isnt that the very old style that needs replacing if anything needs doing to it?

can a sparkie even work on that wiring? Isnt that the very old style that needs replacing if anything needs doing to it?
no mate,
you can work on anything,
the regs are not retrospective,
you must leave it safe though, and document any non conformities to the present regs, and give the householder a copy,
if it is dangerous to the point of life threatening then you can issue a disconnection notice and have the householder sign the copy you keep.

ahhh ok, seem to remember something years ago about the cost of the old style cable costing a fortune and being in short supply (many many years ago). If I was the op though I would work on the artex first :grin:

i just see anaglypta (spelling) and choc boxes (not the milk tray variety) Im hoping the pic is blurred slighty, otherise i need to stop :grin:

crappy picture but does anyone else see ring netural two black in 1st left chock block, switch live middle of 3 chock block, neutral far right of 3 chock block, earth in the green yellow tape and ring live in the single chock block further into the wall?

crappy picture but does anyone else see ring netural two black in 1st left chock block, switch live middle of 3 chock block, neutral far right of 3 chock block, earth in the green yellow tape and ring live in the single chock block further into the wall?
lights arent [shouldnt be] on a ring,
logical wiring is in post #13
I wouldnt trust too much on what is in the 3 x single connectors tbh
I guess [and its a BIG GUESS] the solitary red and black are switch wires and should go together,
but, without any form of test equipment, its impossible to be sure

lights arent [shouldnt be] on a ring,
logical wiring is in post #13
I wouldnt trust too much on what is in the 3 x single connectors tbh
I guess [and its a BIG GUESS] the solitary red and black are switch wires and should go together,
but, without any form of test equipment, its impossible to be sure
The three reds in the single block connector will be the loop. Which is constant live should be taped up with the switch on the on position I would test with a.fluke pen to see what black cable is live to confirm the switch wire

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

WARNING , THIS IS ONLY AN EDUCATED GUESS MADE FROM 30 YEARS EXPERIENCE AND IS NOT WARRANTED DUE TO NOT BEING ABLE TO ACTUALLY TEST THE EXISTING CABLING
USE THIS INFORMATION AT YOUR OWN RISK

I'll say this again, using small words,
there is a red & black live and neutral feed coming from the mains,
the red from this goes to the red going to the switch
the black from this goes to the black going to the next light,
the black that is along with the red that goes to the switch joins to the red that goes to the next light
the new light connects like this
live of new light goes to the red and black
neutral of new light goes to the 2 blacks
all earth cables are joined together and join to earth of new light

I would say the red is live and the black on the right is the neutral.Connect a lampholder and try it .If you have mcb trips in your fuseboard all that will happen is it will trip the mcb then you can swap the wire round and turn the mcb back on.It won't cause any damage I have
done this many times.If you have a screwdriver tester you can check that the red is the live,then there is only 2 blacks so one of them is the neutral.Next time you remove a light fitting just check what wires are connected to what.

Back