Anybody good with boilers?

pl1976

Got a problem getting hot water can somebody help please?. Need to leave it on overnight for it to be hot. Used to be could put it on for an hour & that was it. Could it be blockage etc bg have recommended a power flush at £800

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turn the boiler down very low and run the hot water.
There may be an airlock somewhere and running it like this for a bit will often purge the airlock from the pipes

Got it turned down to 3 but forgot to mention the boiler itself is very hot. Reckon it has to be on for about 7 hours to get really hot. How long would you ruffly run the hot water tap ? Should I put it at 1 and put hot water on for an hour & try

the boiler is supposed to heat the water as you use it. you shouldn't need to put it on 7 hours before.

put it on 1 and run it for 5 minutes, then while the water is running, turn it up to 3, then a few mins later turn it up to max ans see if it comes through hot

Thanks will give that a try. Worse case scenario if that doesn't work should it be a flush of some sort needed

without seeing it, I couldn't say.
I wouldn't spend money on a flush, a powerflush is only really of any use on the central heating side - the rads and pipes get sludged up and flushing them through increases circulation. direct hot water, or even stored hot water shouldn't ever need flushing as it's flushed every time you turn on a hot tap. It enters the house cold, goes through the boiler and ends up coming out the hot tap. The Potterton Prima doesn't store hot water? - do you have a tank in the loft?

have you been up and checked the tank?

There may be a bleed valve on the feed pipe coming from the boiler to the tank, if there's air in this pipe it will slow down or stop hot water from being delivered from the boiler to the tank. It will be at the highest point on the pipe, possibly a thumb valve or maybe a valve that requires a square key to open. open this s-l-o-w-l-y and wait for any trapped air to escape, when you see water appear, it's bled of air and should be OK, tighten the bleed valve back up and try the hot water again.

Hi mate, have you checked the three way valve near the hot water cylinder, I assume rads getting hot,normally you can override them with the lever to the side. Check pipes coming out, is the feed to cylinder hot?

the boiler is supposed to heat the water as you use it. you shouldn't need to put it on 7 hours before.

put it on 1 and run it for 5 minutes, then while the water is running, turn it up to 3, then a few mins later turn it up to max ans see if it comes through hot

only if its a combi,
sounds like its a system boiler,
could be a jammed valve, is the central heating working OK.?
if it is, then my money is on a faulty valve,
can the OP locate any of the valves? usually 2 x 2ports, or 1 x 3port valves, 2 x 2ports are a better system than 1 x 3port btw,
you can manually over ride both types of valve, there is a lever on the side, this will discount a faulty valve,
the disadvantage of a 3port valve is that your CH will come on with your hot water if you manually over ride it,

Yep, I posted this before I found out he had stored hot water in the loft tank.

OP hasn't been back since Thurs so he may have it sorted now

Not got ladders yet to go up & check water tank valve. Forgot to mention radiators coming on when only selecting for hot water

Not got ladders yet to go up & check water tank valve. Forgot to mention radiators coming on when only selecting for hot water

bad valve is my guess then,
do you have access to the valve?
is it a 3port?

Back