Are sly faffin with the service ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
might be a bit thick here so dont shoot me down, but why change settings, i aint with sly internet and im glitching. its all over my head all this but if it aint broke why try and fix it, if you know you havent mesed with setting or owt

My setup seemed to improve over the last few days with only the normal glitch here an there, popped home at lunch today and put SS NewsHQ on for half an hour, it was glitching 3\4 times every minute, movies didnt seem effected, its a strange one for sure

Plusnet fibre nothing in router logs no glitches/ freezes while streaming from netflix, amazon or kodi not even a blip. Using any of my satellite boxes and any line I am getting freezes on some encrypted satellite channels. Last night when freezing was very bad on History ecms were every 2 to 3 ms instead of normal 45 to 50 ms. Going to start researching the iptv I think as this is getting annoying to say the least.

Last edited:
This has absolutely nothing to do with bad signal strength or IPv6.

It's bad ecms. Coming from a bad cache or sky changes (less likely but possible)

Servers wth with dedicated cards only aren't having problems.

So let me summarise here.
A one year member to this service knows the answer and all the other users with reported problems are on bad servers ?
How do you then explain where multi users on the same server are reporting totally different answers to the glitching content ?
How do you explain servers that have been rock solid for a few years suddenly having these problems ?
Why are there so many complaints on the official sky site complaining about no/poor tv signals and internet in the last few days all over the UK ?
Why does one of my servers that only has local cards in use glitch as much as those offshore based and using the cache no doubt ?
Why does my mate's server again using local cards in a small setup have the same glitching occurring but only starting in the last week or so and only on 28.2E connections.
Perhaps with your expert knowledge you could enlighten us all with these answers ?
And your great new server you have since 3/9/16 is hardly a testament to how good the service is for a couple of days!
I have loads of users paying half of the price you are with no problem from the same server so perhaps you can explain that as well ?
We are all entitled to an opinion but best to keep it as an opinion rather than state it as a fact ?

If you had any idea how satellite systems and encryption works you wouldn't have write a pointless rant like that were everything can be explained.

Also copying a line to a config file doesn't make you an expert.

Firstly multiple users on the same server could be watching different channels and hitting different caches or even watching FTA channels.

How would reduced signal in different areas even happen ? Do you think sky have 100's of satellite over every part of the U.K. and now suddenly some of them are"broke".

Sky's footprint reaches well outside of the U.K. So I don't really think it's a signal strength issue causing the glitching.

Perhaps some people are seeing the effects of a tighter foot print over Europe but it certainly it has nothing to do with this issue.

How do you think encryption work ?
The DVB-S feed in encrypted by a rotating private key before it leaves sky's infrastructure. Our cards then using cryptographic technique stays in sync with the encryption and successfully decrypts the feed every 8 seconds or so with a new key.

Do you think the "weak" signal or broadband somehow decrypts the DVB-S and re-encrypts it would a new key mid air ?

If the signal was turning bad you'd see an increase > 0 ber

If genuine sky customers are seeing glitching then the issue is with the encrypt/decrypt layer not working correctly staying in sync.

For example the card calculates incorrect key pair to decrypt the feed. This is only an educated guess but makes miles more sense than signal or broadband. Fire up a vpn and monitor your pings to the server to cancel it out if you want.

So what's your theory again ? Everyone needs a new satellites and better box ?

I had a problem with Hull v Utd game, 2 weeks ago. There was no problems with the games before on the same day, or after. Not had a prob since. I think sly will tinker again, 12.30 pm, this Saturday. Btw, i tried another line which is very reliable during the game to see if it was server overload, it wasn't.

Leopard......lots of copy and pasting in your response but not a single answer that i can see ?
My original post was asking a question not stating a fact?
The number of responses shows it to be a widespread problem across the UK ?
At no time have i mentioned boxes even tho i have the same problem on half a dozen different ones.
If the problem was cache related then why have you only just changed to a dedicated server 3 days ago as with all your knowledge you would have done this when you bought your first line ?
You have no idea of the problem causing this and nor do i.
The difference is i state only facts or ask questions and occasionally offer my opinion on something.
That is somewhat different to posting a statement of fact as you seem to like doing.
As for the pointless rant , it was a number of questions which you conveniently ignored ?
Perhaps you would enlighten us to your credibility as an expert in this matter ?

This has absolutely nothing to do with bad signal strength or IPv6.

It's bad ecms. Coming from a bad cache or sky changes (less likely but possible)

Servers wth with dedicated cards only aren't having problems.

So let me summarise here.
A one year member to this service knows the answer and all the other users with reported problems are on bad servers ?
How do you then explain where multi users on the same server are reporting totally different answers to the glitching content ?
How do you explain servers that have been rock solid for a few years suddenly having these problems ?
Why are there so many complaints on the official sky site complaining about no/poor tv signals and internet in the last few days all over the UK ?
Why does one of my servers that only has local cards in use glitch as much as those offshore based and using the cache no doubt ?
Why does my mate's server again using local cards in a small setup have the same glitching occurring but only starting in the last week or so and only on 28.2E connections.
Perhaps with your expert knowledge you could enlighten us all with these answers ?
And your great new server you have since 3/9/16 is hardly a testament to how good the service is for a couple of days!
I have loads of users paying half of the price you are with no problem from the same server so perhaps you can explain that as well ?
We are all entitled to an opinion but best to keep it as an opinion rather than state it as a fact ?

so let me get this because the so called member that you quoted is not a member here for longer that a year he don't know what he talking about
and because half of your clients pay less than him he should explain that as well.

would it not rather be better that since u are here a long time charge lest than his server only half your clients have problems
then you tell us the problem or do you even know what the problem is ???? or just another one of these people that say it any thing but my server

and as for your server just using local cards with no cache share well that hard to believe to be honest. And if he does only have locals (lol) and still get freeze it could be a number or reasons not related to what is happing now it could be his setup his cheap vps server etc

Last edited:
I tested 2 boxes with 4 lines. All freeze at exact same time. In Ireland. Signal and ping perfect at the time. I don't see how it can be the receiver, dish or internet.

The freeze frequency varies depending on the time/channel, but all lines freeze at the same time when testing 2 of them on different boxes side by side.

Well if it was bad cache Someone explain to me On Sunday was watching Moto Gp in a pub no problems at all Next door to me txt me saying he was having problems and could not watch it Same Channel. Same server Only difference is Internet providers Distance between them approx 800 mtrs I'm not suffering as bad as others I even asked landlord any problems last night ( no probs) yet next door is still bad ( Sky)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that could have been the internet provider since he said he couldn't watch it. I wouldn't say these freezes make anything unwatchable, just annoying.

What if the providers are on say sky bb and say I'm on virgin bb if the problem was with sky bb surely that would cause the issue from the server end. Then it would not make a difference what isp we have if its there isp with the problem say (sky)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing to do with isp......ppl with other isp having issues....This is server issue and using cheap vps would be my hunch....why don't they check logs.....see what changed....simple.

Leopard......lots of copy and pasting in your response but not a single answer that i can see ?
My original post was asking a question not stating a fact?
The number of responses shows it to be a widespread problem across the UK ?
At no time have i mentioned boxes even tho i have the same problem on half a dozen different ones.
If the problem was cache related then why have you only just changed to a dedicated server 3 days ago as with all your knowledge you would have done this when you bought your first line ?
You have no idea of the problem causing this and nor do i.
The difference is i state only facts or ask questions and occasionally offer my opinion on something.
That is somewhat different to posting a statement of fact as you seem to like doing.
As for the pointless rant , it was a number of questions which you conveniently ignored ?
Perhaps you would enlighten us to your credibility as an expert in this matter ?

Firstly show me exactly what part of my reply I copy and pasted and provide a link.

While o don't know the exact cause of the problems my technical knowledge and some common sense tells me it's nothing to do with satellite signal or people's broadband at home.

For some reason the ecm provided by the server every 8 seconds or so is failing to decrypt the feed. That part is obvious.

Now whether that's due to a bad cache or some issue with sky's cryptography I don't know.

But for a fact I know it's not broadband or signal related.

Also i choose servers using cache because they generally work well on a day to day basis and provide redundency to a level much higher than pure locals.

But when a cache goes bad a dedicated server is much more reliable and expensive.

I'll answer one of your questions - different people on the same server not seeing glitches comes down to what channel there watching and potentially and good cfg file but more than likely the channel.

Also just because I'm a relatively new member doesn't mean I was born the day I registered. I've plenty of experiences before joining here.

Ive noticed on this and other forums that part of the problem to finding a solution is to many telling fibs. I also believe that 99% of the fibs come from either servers or re-sellers who are trying to blame everything on isp related issues or sly counter measures instead of checking there own setups or maybe scared of finding out they the one causing the problem???

I'll answer one of your questions - different people on the same server not seeing glitches comes down to what channel there watching and potentially and good cfg file but more than likely the channel.

Also just because I'm a relatively new member doesn't mean I was born the day I registered. I've plenty of experiences before joining here.

Final words on the subject as it doesn't serve any useful purpose or solve our problems.
I have 3 customers who all live next to each other here in Spain.
All three were watching the last Man City game using the same internet provider/same line provider and all running V8s boxes.
One never had a single glitch.
One had glitching every 5 mins or so he said.
The third one couldn't watch it was so bad !
Phone calls were made and the other 2 ended up in the first ones house to watch it.
All 3 of these have had rock solid lines with the odd glitch until very recently.
Another mate with an h2s using a different ip to me never had a single glitch over the weekend and we were on whatsapp testing same channels and server whilst mine was unwatchable.
I have also carried out same channel tests with people in uk on same server with a mixture of results.
None of us know the answer but we know the problem.
We can only surmise and hope that whatever the problem that it get's fixed soon.

Can we stop the tic for tac guys. Nobody cares who has what experience. Whether you are a server expert or a google expert. It doesn't really matter. All this thread is for is to hopefully educate people that there is currently a bit of a universal problem at the moment.
This thread will then help to stop the 100s of threads starting up about the subject.

I want to do a test with someone in the UK. Let's turn on the same channel and report the first time it freezes (maybe take a photo and upload it?. Different box,dish,servers,ISP,countries. Anyone up for it? PM me

Then there can be no questions.

Getting abit heated this, and getting nothing sorted. if you have a solution to this problem then fine. if not stop making it up. We need a solution guys. to correct the problem.

I want to do a test with someone in the UK. Let's turn on the same channel and report the first time it freezes (maybe take a photo and upload it?. Different box,dish,servers,ISP,countries. Anyone up for it? PM me

Then there can be no questions.

That won't prove anything, as we know cheaper boxes will cause glitching.

If we both show the same photo it proves alot. If we don't then yes it proves nothing either way.

Like I said, I've tested different lines side by side on 2 boxes and they freeze at same point on same channel. One box I only have recently, other was used months ago and never glitched at all so...

Nobody is curious enough to see?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back