Backup issue any advice

n1cks21

I have had my Zgemma s2 with openatv for about two weeks, when I first got it I managed to do a full backup, now over the last two weeks I have had a tinker and cocked things up so have had to do a full restore on a couple of occasions, it always restores my original backup with no problem, now that I am happy with the skin and overall look, I would like to create a new backup, I use my usb memory stick and it always appears to backup successfully BUT never restores it just stays on the FLSH message on the front, I have backed it up several times now with the same result, I thought it was a memory stick error so purchased a new one, but thats the same, I can use either memory stick to flash my original image with no issues, I have done a low level format and reformatted it with the same outcome, it sees my usb stick and after 10-15 minutes says it's backed up successfully I just cant seem to restore it ??

any help or ideas as this is driving me nuts

Cheers
Nick

Thank you for the quick reply I will check the size tonight, I did google before posting and no one ever mention file sizes.

looking at my previous backups they all appear just over the 125000000 bytes apart from my original one, I don't want to cock up my box by randomly deleting things but is their any folders I can safely empty or what is the best way to shrink my backup ?

cheers again

Nick

We are going to get lots of these questions very shortly. Chabs' new SkyQ skin is very large at the moment. It's potentially going to push a lot of backups over the limit for people that don't have bare bones systems.

---------- Post Merged at 07:52 PM ----------

Delete any unused skins... (they can easily be downloaded again in the future)

delete unused plugins. some I delete. hdmi-cec. cutlistplayer... volume adjust...anything related to motorised dish. Dvd Player.
I also have no media streaming plugins other than iptv player (although that is quite big). So no kodi, no ts media, no media portal.
Media player and media scanner are required though. Don't delete them.

I also have no use for ts panel so that is never installed.

Make sure epg is saved to hdd/usb instead of internal flash.

don't use super high res bootlogos. just upload 1280s instead of 1920.

Run cache cleaner before doing a backup might help. It will certainly help with the speed of the backup process.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips I will have a look through my pluggins

========== UPDATE ==============

I removed a few plugins as suggested, moved epg to my hard drive, I couldn't find cache cleaner? anyway I ran a backup and it was smaller in size than my original one, it restored first time, so my issue was indeed the size of my backup's thank you all for your help in solving this annoying issue.

cheers
Nick

Last edited:
Back