Bandits' horseplay too hot to handle for Late Late

firsthand

VIP Member
IT is the most talked-about song in the country but YouTube sensations The Rubberbandits will not be performing their hit when they appear on the 'Late, Late Show' tonight.

So far, the video for track 'Horse Outside' has recorded nearly two million hits on YouTube but fans expecting a live performance on RTE's flagship chat show hosted by Ryan Tubridy will be disappointed.

"If you go on the 'Late, Late Show' they make you perform without cursing," main member Blindboy Boat Club told the Irish Independent.

"There are 17 instances of the word f**k in the our song and we don't want to perform it without those curses so we're not doing it."

RTE insisted the reason was that the programme was "fully booked" for live performances, and The Rubberbandits had been a "last-minute" addition.

Instead, the programme intends to air a portion of The Rubberbandits' video.

Bizarre

The appearance could still be one of the most bizarre in the chat show's history, as the members of the Limerick hip-hop collective are to be interviewed by host Ryan Tubridy wearing their trademarks plastic bags on their faces.

Manager Joe Clarke is from the Ennis Road and oversees The Rubberbandits' operations through his company, CWB.

On Wednesday, the group made headlines when they became a topic for discussion on RTE Radio's 'Liveline', with former Defence Minister Willie O'Dea, who the group lampooned in a previous video, ringing in to defend them. However, Blindboy Boat Club told the Irish Independent he was still upset that host Joe Duffy had told him to "speak properly" when he rang in to defend his group.

"There's nothing wrong with the way I talk.

"I talk the way you talk if you're from Limerick. I think people in Limerick were hurt by Joe Duffy saying 'why can't you talk properly?'

"I know Joe isn't posh, even though he went to Trinity. His roots would be humble enough in Ballyfermot.

"It's a shame to see a man lose his connection to that type of grounding in society," said Blindboy Boat Club.

Today, Irish record buyers will finally be able to buy CD copies of 'Horse Outside' with thousands of copies distributed to record shops nationwide.

But the group, playing a sell-out show in Dublin's Button Factory last night, said they had no idea if they can, as anticipated, make the number one in Ireland this Christmas.

Back