BEST ROUTER TO BUY

didenno

Hi
I have vodafone fibre optic broadband using their router. Although its better than bt fibre optic and bts hh5, i am still having issues getting a signal in other rooms in my home. I do have alot of devices connected to my wifi and also i have used all four ports on the router. I would appreciate any advice about a better router that can cope with alot of connected devices. I have tried wifi extenders but i still get alot of dropouts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just buy a network switch to free up ports on the router. They're only about £10 from Amazon.
That way you would have one cable from the router to the switch and everything else plugs into the switch.
Then you could run cables from the free router ports to the far reaches of your house and stick cheap wifi routers in AP mode on the other ends.
My main router is an Asus RT-N66U connected to the VM Superhub 3.0 in modem mode.
I've then got 3 other routers scattered about the house and garage to provide wifi coverage.

Thanks guys, i will look at both options because anything has got to be better than the way it is at the minute

Dave was just linking to a cheap switch on Amazon. It's not another option.
The only reliable way to have a decent network in your home is to run cables imho.
All the other options like wifi extenders and network plugs pale in comparison to doing it properly.

Willo i understand what your saying and i would much prefer having all devices connected via cable than wifi signal but as my router only has four ports and being a novice i just was wondering if there was a better router that has more ports and copes better with alot of devices

Willo i understand what your saying and i would much prefer having all devices connected via cable than wifi signal but as my router only has four ports and being a novice i just was wondering if there was a better router that has more ports and copes better with a lot of devices

The switch Dave linked to will give you more ports on your existing router.
You can get a gigabit 8 port switch for about £14 which should give you more than enough ports.

My advice about cabling was just to explain the ideal way to improve the wifi signal around the house.

This is the router I use:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-N6...8&qid=1519390983&sr=8-1&keywords=Asus+RT-N66U

Cheers willo, you always give good advice which i very much appreciate. I will look at that router now and hopefully i can improve my internet

Me too! I don't it enough to justify buying a DeWalt one though.
same here,
I only got it to edge a set of built-in wardrobes I made, even my 'proper' router is only a cheap [ish] one,
woodwork isnt my trade so those tools dont get used enough to justify higher end prices,

Thanks guys, this little lady appreciates your replies. I have tried bt wifi extenders but still get dropouts. I will have a think about it over the wkend and decide which way to go [emoji1303]

Thanks guys, this little lady appreciates your replies. I have tried bt wifi extenders but still get dropouts. I will have a think about it over the wkend and decide which way to go [emoji1303]

on a more serious note,
post #2 from @Willo3092 is your solution,
I have something similar set up in my house

You could add, as said before, homeplugs. I have 4 TP link 200Mbps plugs and they work fine - even have one in my shed. There is a utility were you give each plug the same name which removes the need to sync each plug you add.

Back