Blackberry Storm Video Conversion - How To:

homesick

VIP Member
TK Supporter
If you got a Storm like me then you're no doubt absolutely in love with the gorgeous screen. Sure it comes with a sweet Babylon A.D. trailer, but I just had to have some more video to pack onto that 8 gig card to show off to all my friends. So I slaved away looking at the video settings of the Babylon A.D. trailer to figure out the optimal video settings for the Storm. If you already know what your doing here's the dirty details.

Output Container: mp4
Video Codec: MPEG-4
Audio Codec: AAC-LC

Video Scale Size:
If your source is 4:3 use 480x360
If your source is 16:9 use 480x270
Use 1:1 Aspect ratio for both.
Frame/Sec: 25
Video Bitrate: 1248kbps

Audio:
Audio Bitrate: 64kbps
Sampling Freq: 44100
Channels: Mono (will reduce file size) or Stereo (Might sound better with headphones, but probably not worth it for the size increase.)

Now if you have no idea what to do with that, then here's some simple instructions for you.

First Go to SUPER © .
Scroll to the bottom and click " Start Downloading SUPER © "
On the next page in the middle of all that red text click the "download and use" link.
Scroll to the bottom of that page and click "Download SUPER © setup file"
That should start the download of SUPERsetup.exe. I know it sounds real shady, and I agree the website is a total mess, but the program is real, and free and gets the job done.

If your on vista then right click the Super icon and select "Run as administrator" or it may crash on you.

Once you have SUPER then you can plug the settings in as you see below.

If your source file is 16:9 (If it looks Widescreen then use this one)

SUPER16by9-1.jpg

If your source file is 4:3 (Looks like a square video)

SUPER4by3-1.jpg

Once you have your settings correct before you convert a file press ctrl+t and select a new location to put your converted files because the default is [C:\Program Files\eRightSoft\SUPER\OutPut] which is not convenient at all.

Next Press ctrl+a and select the file(s) you want to convert.
Make sure the boxes beside the files you want to process are checked.

Next click "Encode (Active Files)" It will take a while, but when it's finished you will have a beautiful mp4 video to put on your Storm!

Finally copy the newly created mp4 video file(s) to your Storm's Micro SD card. Put them in the \BlackBerry\videos directory of your Micro SD card.

After they are copied over then unplug your Storm and show off your video!
Hope this helps

pastorhudson

So there were a few common questions. . .

I think there's a virus in this Program!!??
There's no virus in Super. One person reported being infected by Backdoor.Graybird, but if you got it from the site I linked to in my post it did not come with the download. If you downloaded it from somewhere else on the web then there's your problem. The site repeatedly tells you to only download Super from them. So I'm guessing that malware/spamers have probably uploaded it to phishing sites to snag people. Always make sure you download things from their original website, or from a trusted location like download.com, and always run antivirus and scan stuff you are installing.

Where do I find the files?
You were suposed to change the output directory by pressing CTRL+t
C:\Program Files\eRightSoft\SUPER\OutPut

Why are there black bars on my video?[/B]
Even though it looks "widescreen" the storm is native 4:3 not 16:9. So unless you want to streach everybody and make them tall and skiny you will still have the black bars.

Is there a way to make it fullscreen without the black bars?
Yes you can crop the file when you do the transcode, but I haven't done it yet. I'll post it when I figure it out.

Anyone tried to convert youtube .FLV files? i always seem to get an error, following hte first post's settings. i changed the video size to 320x240, yet it still doesn't work. anyone know what i can do? maybe use a different video encoder?

Just go to KeepVid: Download and save any video from Youtube, Dailymotion, Metacafe, iFilm and more! and paste the youtube url. Then download the "High Quality" MP4. It will play perfect on your Storm.

When i go to encode the video file it only does about 2 min of the movie and then stops. the resulting file is very small and is only the first couple minutes of the movie with very fast speed and audio that does not line up to picture. I checked the settings and everything is the same, any ideas on why this is happening?

Your source video file is corrupted. I've had this happen on a few files. The only thing you can do is try to find a different version of the file.

I'm trying to convert a movie purchased from itunes but the super software gives me an error. When I view the details of the error it tells me not enough space on my drive. I have plenty of space.
Now when i tried it with a movie (same extension .m4v) that was ripped in the past, it works.
Any suggestions??

Meet DRM.

Itunes store video files are encoded with fairplay digital rights management that means they will only play on Itunes, Ipod, or AppleTV. There may be a way to strip the DRM from them, but I don't know it.

<RANT>Wouldn't it be nice if we could actually pay money and download video content in a format we could use on our portable devices? I'm absolutely willing to throw down a couple bucks to be able to get some heroes or prison break action on my Storm/psp/whatever else I have with me. How awesome would it be for my phone to just automatically download the latest episodes of shows I've subscribed to when my phone goes to bedside? I'm willing to watch adds, I'm willing to pay a premium price! I'm willing to download some piece of crap software and spend all stinking day encoding files just so I can watch their shows!! I want to pay them for their content!! But the archaic studio execs would rather tick off their fans by making them jump through crazy hoops forcing them to become video format experts just so they can figure out that amazon won't play on my iPod, but Itunes won't play on my tivo or xbox, and none of them play on my Storm, I have to use one resolution for my psp, a different one for my Storm/iPod!!! I just want to scream!</RANT>

Back