bm5000s help neede

berty1234

Hi all, iv got myself a blade bm5000s the other day, iv updated to the latest firmware with 9991 and installed the latest eu channel list off blade online.The box has been fine since friday night but going through the selected satellites i noticed a few channels where missing , the eu channel list is a bit old so this morning i decided to use the update tp option in the satellite menu to get latest transponders so i can rescan the satellites. However when the transponders updated and saved the box rebooted and now the box wont boot up. Iv just got the blue light on and it says booting on the display, booting goes off for about 10 seconds then says booting again and this is looping. does anybody know a way round this, can i reflash a full image via rs-232? Because it is like the box is bricked (corrupt bootloader/firmware). Iv tried the way you can do it on the 7000s by holding down the menu button on the box while powering up from the back, but this dont work with the my 5000s. any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thankyou

Switch the box on from the rocker switch at the back.

Keep you finger on the power button on the front for about 10 secs and see if it reboots.

Apparently it has a "Deep Standby Mode"

Then if it boots go into the menu and change the "power save" mode to "normal".

Last edited:
Iv already tried that one. Its not in deep standby it is stuck in a reboot loop. The box powers up,says boot on the display turns off then back on, boot on the display again and this is repeating like a loop. Only a single solid blue light. Not the red one that people are getting under deep standby. Had a msg from blade, they say its an odd one. They recomend i send it back to distributer as it sounds like corrupt bootloader or firmware. There seems to be no way of recovery via rs232 com port yet. Ill just have to wait and see if blade release one. Thank you for your help

Just a quick update, All sorted now, i sussed out how to reflash it via the comm port. The box was rebooting strait after it had first registered the usb ports. just a sudden end, no errors or failures, weird. Anyway i reflashed the box with the blade full flash off there site and all is back. Thank you

Could you please explain how you did it in case
any other members have the same problem ?

I used hyperterminal with a null modem cable connected between rs232 on box an com port on pc, set com port settings to, bits per second:115200, data bits:8, parity:none, stop bits:1, flow control:none. hit connect in hyperterminal. once connected to the box turn the switch on the back of the reciever on and hold the spacebar while in hyperterminal, this will pause thw bootloader which gives you 2 options, 1.update aplication ssu, 2.continue boot. Press 1 and hyperterminal requests that you send the update file. Open transfer menu in hyperterminal and then send file. select the origional full flash file that you can download from the blade media site and set the Protocol to 1K xmodem. Press send and Hyperterminal will re-flash the origional firmare back to the box allowing you to recover and fully boot the reciever up. the whole process to about 20 minutes to flash. Good look to anyone who needs to do this

I used hyperterminal with a null modem cable connected between rs232 on box an com port on pc, set com port settings to, bits per second:115200, data bits:8, parity:none, stop bits:1, flow control:none. hit connect in hyperterminal. once connected to the box turn the switch on the back of the reciever on and hold the spacebar while in hyperterminal, this will pause thw bootloader which gives you 2 options, 1.update aplication ssu, 2.continue boot. Press 1 and hyperterminal requests that you send the update file. Open transfer menu in hyperterminal and then send file. select the origional full flash file that you can download from the blade media site and set the Protocol to 1K xmodem. Press send and Hyperterminal will re-flash the origional firmare back to the box allowing you to recover and fully boot the reciever up. the whole process to about 20 minutes to flash. Good look to anyone who needs to do this

Hi thanks for the tutorial as I have the same problem, but I followed your instructions to the letter and when I go to send files it just keeps retrying and finally gives an error message, have you any ideas,

Hi thanks for the tutorial as I have the same problem, but I followed your instructions to the letter and when I go to send files it just keeps retrying and finally gives an error message, have you any ideas,

Are you using the custom firmware of here or the non 9991 version from blades website, seems like it has to be stock firmware

Are you using the custom firmware of here or the non 9991 version from blades website, seems like it has to be stock firmware

Yes it does need to be stock firmware. i got it from the blade site. I used http://www.blademedia.tv/files/bm5000s/BM5000s-09-04-14-beta.zip , But there is a newer one now, Should work the same tho

Are you extracting the firmware u downloaded from blades site? It is the .ssu file that it asks for. Make sure its full flash and also is it a null modem cable your using or a std rs2 Reply to Thread32 as it needs to be null modem. thats all i can think of. I'v only had to do it once when my box was dead. Sorry i cant be any more help

Are you extracting the firmware u downloaded from blades site? It is the .ssu file that it asks for. Make sure its full flash and also is it a null modem cable your using or a std rs232 as it needs to be null modem. thats all i can think of. I'v only had to do it once when my box was dead. Sorry i cant be any more help

help pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaase

This sounds great to me...unfortunately im a technical dunce and have absolutely no idea what it means after getting the same problem

Berty1234, thanks for your tutorial, I am no expert but managed to recover my 5000s which was stuck in a boot loop by following your instructions.
Downloaded hyperterminal to windows 7 laptop and it worked a treat.

Following my post above, my 5000s reverted to boot loop again as I was flicking through channels. Using the instructions above, I reflashed the Blade firmware and then flahed the 9991 firmware, so all up and running again. My question is, does anyone know what is causing the box to go into boot loop? Thanks

Back