Boiler power flush?

KashB

Has anyone had a power flush done before? I've been having some issues with my heating and hot water (both not heating up fully). Called British gas and they sent over an engineer who stuck some sort of magnet on the pipes and said I needed a power flush at a cost of £600. I'm sceptical as he didn't do many other checks.

Boiler is a 5 year old Vaillant combi. Serviced every year, has a magnetic filter and radiators filled with inhibitor. I put some cleaner in myself and flushed the system and the problem has improved noticeably.

Have a local plumber coming tomorrow, hoping a flush isn't needed.

Has anyone had a power flush done before? I've been having some issues with my heating and hot water (both not heating up fully). Called British gas and they sent over an engineer who stuck some sort of magnet on the pipes and said I needed a power flush at a cost of £600. I'm sceptical as he didn't do many other checks.

Boiler is a 5 year old Vaillant combi. Serviced every year, has a magnetic filter and radiators filled with inhibitor. I put some cleaner in myself and flushed the system and the problem has improved noticeably.

I hired a power flushing machine a few weeks ago, £30, took me about 5 hours as it's my own house and i did the full system twice, refilled it twice, then did each radiator individually (you just shut off every other radiator apart from one)
each radiator took about 20 mins, then i emptied the system one last time and refilled, and added inhibitor
quite easy if you know how to use a spanner

I hired a power flushing machine a few weeks ago, £30, took me about 5 hours as it's my own house and i did the full system twice, refilled it twice, then did each radiator individually (you just shut off every other radiator apart from one)
each radiator took about 20 mins, then i emptied the system one last time and refilled, and added inhibitor

I had no idea they'd be that cheap to hire. I know how to fill and drain a system so I guess I can figure it out. I'll see what the local plumber thinks the issue is and if a flush is needed, I guess I'll have a go myself. Thanks, that's put my mind/wallet at ease

Have a look here mate ;)

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=diy+boiler+flush

it can be a bit messy, you need to keep bleeding the air as you have to refill it a few times, just have plenty of old towels and a few dustsheets etc
I used X100 inhibitor afterwards
I used a cleaner in the system for a week before flushing

I used to hire out loads of power flush machines when i worked for hss. I just checked their prices and it says £72.00 per day, so i would deffo try the other major hire companies or your locals one.

Left handed spanners are rare!

Just an update/quick thanks to everyone. I hired the machine at £35 for the day. It literally took me all day from morning to late at night but I got it done and everything's working back as it should be now.

Thanks again guys.

Back