Broadband speeds

Bilko

Hi, Brilliant forum.....so much info for a newbie (like myself) with limited knowledge on this stuff.

Basically, a friend has just received his new Zgemma H.2S and was wondering what is the minimum broadband speed he needs to get it up and running? He has 'slow' broadband at the minute (12Mb per sec) but is signing up to fast fibre broadband in a couple of weeks (when his current internet provider contract runs out).

Is it worth him setting up the Zgemma on such slow broadband? Or worth waiting a few weeks for the fibre broadband?

Sorry to ask, did try to search for the answer but got conflicting answers.

assuming you are talking about the speed required to talk to his gift / line provider, then all i can attest to is that i do absolutely fine on 5mb. I get no freezes what so ever.

Remember, you're not streaming the channel... all you are doing is sending a request for an encryption key and receiving a response...

assuming you are talking about the speed required to talk to his gift / line provider, then all i can attest to is that i do absolutely fine on 5mb. I get no freezes what so ever.

Remember, you're not streaming the channel... all you are doing is sending a request for an encryption key and receiving a response...

Ah, thanks for that Danmed. That's how much of a 'Noob' I am.

I assumed he would need faster broadband for streaming. Now I get it, thank you mate. :oops:

I've seen a box run perfectly stable on a 2mb line, the amount of data been received by the box is small so its not about speed its about how stable the line is. Remember the picture and sound come from the dish not the internet connection so its not like streaming IPTV or netflix

Just for a ref I am on ADSL that has at best 2.5mb but most of the time is about 1.5mb and I have two boxes running with no freezing.

Cheers

This has been answered many times download speed is not important it's how stable the line is and known as ping so how long it takes to receive/send to the server.

People always think of download upload is as important.

Back