Buying a car in UK for Ireland

Niallers

Hey looking for help on buying a car mpv and ways of getting it to Ireland. Is there any company that provide this service.

I brought my own in a couple of years back.. simply go buy it , bring it in via hollyhead, just drive it across to home as normal, then the fun starts, you gotta register it, and pay VRT, which will be appro 24% of the value that the revenue in ireland will put on the car. Their web site is full of info and a calculated to estimate the registration costs.. it' all a bit tricky but worth it of you get a bargain on the UK.

24% is it that much ? If I was to buy a car worth 20 k I'd have to pay 5 k vrt .
Does that include northern Ireland ?

24% is it that much ? If I was to buy a car worth 20 k I'd have to pay 5 k vrt .

but, if you buy it plus VAT in the UK you can get it without VAT [ 20% ] as you are exporting it
so makes the vrt 4%
its a lot easier for commercial vehicles as they are more often than not +vat, whereas private cars have the vat never claimed,
buy an ex company car, that will have the vat reclaimed.

yes, includes NI, atm its still part of the UK

It is not the price you pay, it is the value they give the car - IE. what they think it is worth in Ireland.
You may buy it for 10,000 (just to have an easy number) and it is worth 20,000 here, you pay VRT of 2,400, making the total 12,400, whereas it is worth 20,000.

many moons ago it used to be a very common workaround,
buy a car in the North [ or South ] as export, so no VAT/VRT
take it and register it in the other jurisdiction, immediatelky sell it back as second hand, no vat/vrt paid either way,
dodgy, but often done

Back