Cable Box Interest

Hi,

I posted just about a week ago in another board with interest in upgrading my sat box to a better model, now with all the uncertainty in the area at the mo, with certain loss of HD seemingly just around the corner and the future of SD seems to be up in the air for the long term as well. I'm thinking maybe the cableTV route is worth investigating further.
I would be interested in HD channels for sure, it's not essential but certainly preferred. I have read about some boxes not needing a server/sub to work which is not what I expected, but also there are some boxes that do require a sub to get the channels, however I've done a bit of googling and I'm yet to find a service provider for UK cable TV, maybe someone here could PM a couple of websites of these service providers so I can take a look? Also does this work in the same way as satellite servers in that you get a line or file to add to you're box?
I also have noticed people saying that on Cable boxes you can just lose channels, is this a case of losing a channel while watching and its back next time you scan it comes back? Or is it a case of lose it and its gone gone?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

I have a VU+ duo box and have noticed the odd one or two HD channels going, a quick search and they are all back though.
Am struggling with CI and History HD but yes, too much 'up in the air' currently and will doubt I will renew my subscription to the sat place I use from August onwards, unless they can assure me that they
can keep up with sky and their money grabbing ways

I would like a PM too ;-)

Thanks for the PM guys. I've been sorted out now ;-)
Looks ppl will be jumping on the cable bandwagon soon.

Last edited:
hmm wonder if this works 3rd letter of alphabet=* and 19th letter of alphabet=*
deck of playing cards,card between q and a
add together and google.

Anyone recommend a very basic cable receiver that I can just add my server to and be done with it?
I heard that there is a box called a q5c which is the cable equivalent of a skybox which would be ideal for a noobie like moi :) anyone ever used one, I'm not expecting glowing reviews from the enthusiasts here who are used to better receivers but a basic bit of feedback would be great. Also any ideas on where I could buy a q5c box have done googling and only found on aliexpress which from reviews are maybe not the best to buy from, so any other known stockists I would be very interested to know them.

Thanks for the info in this thread so far :)

no its a 7000,confusing when both have same model number and 7000s is sat only,7000combo is both cable and sat.no idea if sold still but with decline of sat may comeback again.

Hey guys, how does the kryptview box work without a sub? that sounds too good to be true! are there any drawbacks to buying a box with no sub over a box with a sub?

It works in the same way, except you are tied to their server.
If the server goes down the box is a doorstop.

If it stays up then it's happy days.

Kryptview is connected to their servers so you'll be locked to that one server. Box without sub you'll be able to call the shots. Personally box without sub for me.

Back