Cable Line + which box ?

pinball

Hello guys,
I used to be with VM for my BB till I switched over to Sly and now with SSE as its cheaper.
My cable box is still outside the house and the white box is still inside.
How can I check if the line is still alive as would like to move over to cable telly.
There's a green box for cable at the end of the road from me.
Also which box should I get for cable, can someone point me in the right direction.
Many Thanks
PB.

9/10 the cable will still be live.
I would buy a box from Amazon then if your cable is dead you won't have any issues sending the box back.
Look at the edision os mini (make sure it's suitable for cable)

If your friendly with any neighbours and they have a virmin tivo box to borrow plug it in and you will know 100% sure the line is active but same as cableconnect said most of the time the line will remain active because virmin engineers rarely disconnect them anymore etc

Theres a good range of cable boxes now all depends on your budget and what you want out of the box like recording a channel whilst being able to view another etc quiet a few can run sly aswell and iptv etc

9/10 the cable will still be live.
I would buy a box from Amazon then if your cable is dead you won't have any issues sending the box back.
Look at the edision os mini (make sure it's suitable for cable)
Many thanks for that, have you got a link for that box ?
PB

Theres a good range of cable boxes now all depends on your budget and what you want out of the box like recording a channel whilst being able to view another etc quiet a few can run sly aswell and iptv etc
I'm looking at Zgemma boxes but unsure which one to go for, can you help me please ?
Many thanks
PB

If your friendly with any neighbours and they have a virmin tivo box to borrow plug it in and you will know 100% sure the line is active but same as cableconnect said most of the time the line will remain active because virmin engineers rarely disconnect them anymore etc
I will have to chance it as my neighbours are on sly

Last edited by a moderator:
Friend has zgemma h5.2tc think it cost £95 direct from zgemma website and then post a request for a line test in cable request section on here etc

If you're not bothered about recording 1 cable channel and watching another cable channel, the H2.H is fine but if you'd like to record 1 cable channels whilst watching another cable channel, you'd need the H5.2TC ... both boxes still have a single satellite tuner in them though so you could also connect that up too and make use of the channels you can still get through that.

Check the returns policy if your going to take a chance buying a receiver and your cable feed is not active ;-)
Many Thanks, for the info, but if my line is dead the box won't be wasted as I will give it as as a pressy to my mate :-)

If you're not bothered about recording 1 cable channel and watching another cable channel, the H2.H is fine but if you'd like to record 1 cable channels whilst watching another cable channel, you'd need the H5.2TC ... both boxes still have a single satellite tuner in them though so you could also connect that up too and make use of the channels you can still get through that.
Just been looking at some photos of both boxes and I can only see a single input, so how can you connect cable and satellite at the same time ? Unless I'm missing something :-)
Many thanks
PB

Theres a screw on lnb in for sat and a push in rf port for cable on back etc if its a twin cable box the signal will usually be split inside the box

5wRdHC1.jpg

the H2H and H5.2tc both use one cable feed, H5.2tc's can be got for about £90 delivered, or the H7C which is a faster box has the same 1 sat and 2 cable as the H5.2tc but requires two cable feeds, it's more expensive, £195 delivered, but is 4K ready and full kodi can be installed, it can also be purchased with internal HDD fitted etc

@pinball
I've currently got an Edision mini twin sat and I will soon be getting an H5.2
there is a secret feature that
@grog68 should tell you about that lets you view the second cable tuner via your satellite box if you are not recording anything on it

@pinball
I've currently got an Edision mini twin sat and I will soon be getting an H5.2
there is a secret feature that
@grog68 should tell you about that lets you view the second cable tuner via your satellite box if you are not recording anything on it
Not sure it's a secret but yes don't throw the sat box away as it can connect to a tuner on your cable box (if there is a free tuner available) so you can have multiroom

Guys,
many thanks for all your help on this, last thing what is the different between the H2 and the H2H ?
Thanks again
PB

Back