Cable (the wire, not the service)

lee989

Hi All

Has anyone installed there own cable extension that can tell me what cable they used and what connectors? I know it's coax and f-connectors but i've read that the VM cables are high spec and not using VM cable can cause issues both with your own install and others on the same network segment (last thing i want is a VM techy turning up wondering why next doors TiVo is playing up). Supposedly the only cable you should use is Webro HD100 (not cheap at all) but then i've read its a PITA to find f-connectors that fit.

So, anyone thats installed there own extension cable (i reckon i need about 20ft minimum extension) can you tell me what cable and connectors you used and if you've had any issues with it.

Note that whilst I appreciate any help, i'm really looking for replies from people that have done this themselves, i've already done googling, so really looking for first hand experience advice.

i'm on vm with tivo and got myself a cable box, i swapped my 2 way splitter for a 3 way splitter and used pc worlds own coax cable, that was 12 months ago HD pictures are crystal clear and i haven't had any neighbours or VM boys knocking on my door

i'm on vm with tivo and got myself a cable box, i swapped my 2 way splitter for a 3 way splitter and used pc worlds own coax cable, that was 12 months ago HD pictures are crystal clear and i haven't had any neighbours or VM boys knocking on my door

Interesting... my limited knowledge of how these things work makes me wonder how you don't suffer from attenuation issues. I would have thought splitting the signal x3 would reduce the dB level for your hub and tivo and cause issues (that's why i asked for replies from people who have practical experience, as the theory doesn't always seem to match up... or my theory is flawed lol).

Thanks for the reply gravehead, the PC world stuff looks like fairly basic double shielded cable and i doubt the connectors are all that "posh" (for want of a better word, supposedly VM use some special connectors that supposedly stop RF ingress even if fitted poorly by the tech).

So it looks like buy a reel of half decent cable and a few f-connectors and i'll be fine :)

Of course if anyone else has any advice from experience on this, every reply is appreciated (even if its just confirming previous replies)

Back