Cable Twin Tuner

Hi guys,

Need a bit of help. Just recently bought a dvb-c tuner for my xtrend et8500 and was wondering how the twin tuner works for cable as I was previously on satellite.

I have two feeds from a small box in the house where 1 goes in to the router and the other went in to the virgin tv box which I have since removed.

Does the single cable that used to go into the virgin cable tv box act as a twin tuner or do I need to do something else?

Thanks

So your box now has 2 cable tuners? If so you need 2 cable inputs into the box in order to record one channel whilst watching an other.So you will need a splitter in order to achieve this.Lots of information about what splitter to get already in this forum via the search facility.

ok it's time to clear up any confusion here
@Rahat786786 and @goofy115 : if you have purchased a single tuner or a twin tuner, it still only needs one vm cable input.
a single tuner will allow you to recieve one cable channel to either watch or record, a twin cable tuner will allow you to watch and record two cable channels at the same time, as stipulated, both types of tuner only need one cable feed as the twin cable tuner splits the incoming signal itself internally

of course, the line will need to support 2 tuners though?
most appear to be limited to single tuner by default from what i've seen.

Still slightly confused.

The xtrend et8500 has 4 tuner slots and there isn't a single twin tuner DVB-C being sold. Even when it was sold on WOS you had to select two DVB-C tuners, 1 for each slot.

As I have 2 feeds from virgin, one of which goes into the router do I need to purchase some sort of splitter for that second feed so that individual lines go into each dvb-c tuner?

Thanks

Ok brilliant. So from the above image RF in for tuner 1 is where the VM feed goes and the cable in the image provides the loop?

Now I have to find my xtrend shipping box!

Found the box with the cable, phew!

Why is the RF in input different on tuner 3 compared to 1 and 2?

I have ordered two DVB-C tuners and the inputs resemble tuner 3 in the image above. I have had a look at the cable from xtrend and it looks like it will only slot into the inputs on tuner 1 and 2.

Sorry for all the questions!

Last edited:
The picture is showing looping out of satellite tuners.
If I remember rightly you have to buy connectors to fit on the ends of the cable for cable tuners.

The picture is showing looping out of satellite tuners.
If I remember rightly you have to buy connectors to fit on the ends of the cable for cable tuners.

Ok thanks.

I have bought a female F to Coax Male and female F to Coax Female attachments. Hopefully works, will keep you guys informed. Everything will take a week to arrive!

Thanks for your help, makes sense now!

So from that image D loops to C and the VM feed goes into the RF in in tuner D.

Why did xtrend just not provide the cable for cable viewing, don't think it is needed as much for satellite. Luckily looks lile I've bought the correct attachments.

All set up now.

Just a slight issue with twin tuning. The main tuner shows 100% and everything works fine. My second tuner has a 90+% signal on channels but there are some channels where the signal keeps dropping from 85% to 0% and no picture is ever displayed. Is this a limitation of loopback or just bad quality attachments?

Not sure. Try using a splitter externally and put a separate feed to each tuner. There may be an issue with the rf out on the first tuner.

Back