Can anyone help, satellite or cable?

Stumpy

Hi again sorry if i am annoying anyone. I hope to be moving in to a new house in a couple off month's and and i am looking for advice on what box. I want to get a system that is up to date and with lots of channels. hopefully some sport and some documenteries. Would i be better off with a satelite dish or cable. I live in athlone irl i would appreciate your help THANKS

hey stumpy, i cant comment too much on sattellite systems as i know nothing about them, but if you are talking about the "dodgybox" situation, well that is gone as NTL/Chorus are using Nagra 3 technology and this hasn't been cracked yet.
if you are asking who is better to supply a service for a fee, then you are best looking up sky/ntl and tailoring a package that suits you, then comparing costs of these.

if you want free sattelite, then there are regularly sattelite dishes/ recievers in aldi/lidl but they dont have pay sports channels,
i am sure someone else will give an opinion here in your thread also.

It really does depend what exactly your looking for. When you say 'hopefully some sport' do you mean definitely sports and do you mean premiership or another league in europe? Are you prepared to have it connected to internet? Are you willing to spend money on a sub of some sort or do you want it totally free?

In a ideal world i would like to get all the channels for free that's not going to happen. I would like to get priemiership games and champions league and darts after that i dont mind. I would be interested in the internet route i dont know how it works. i dont mind paying sub but not the price s*y and C****s are looking for Little as possible. i dont know if that is possible.

Hi Stumpy
As Wheelo says Cable has gone to Nagra 3 so not too good at the moment. On the other hand Satellite has more to offer. I use a Starview HD Combo for both cable and Sat. This box and as many others do has a CAM slot. A CAM is a Conditioning Access Module and comes in many forms. I use a Dragoncam and once programmed with the correct firmware (Predasaurus) using a CAS interface allows me to watch some encrypted channels quite happily.
Couple this with a Usals motor and 1metre dish you will end up with a nifty system which will show thousands of channels.
This is a good site for sat channels
h**p://en.kingofsat.net/
Oh and there are lots of channels showing lots of sports. For footy this is a good start.
h**p://www.satfootball.com/
Try googleing the ones in italics for more info. Hope this helps.
Have fun
Kind Regards
Akman(y)

Akman, can you pick up HD channels though?

Hi M8,
You can indeed. Certainly in the UK BBC HD and ITV HD. If you browse through my links in my previous post you can see what HD channels are avaliable on the other sats. Some scrambled some not.:cheesy grin:
Kind Regards
Akman

Cheers mate, i was going to send my SV HD Combo back for a refund, is it worth keeping and using the Sat connection?

Cheers mate, i was going to send my SV HD Combo back for a refund, is it worth keeping and using the Sat connection?
Definately M8y. Mine is connected to a 1m dish using a USALS motor. The USALS is programmed with my gps coordinates which will allow the motor to track the different satellites across the arc, ie from east to west. The Sly channels ar on Astra, 28.2 degrees East. I you have a sly dish try unplugging the LNB and put it in the Combo then do a scan. Your Sly box (if you have one will allow you to do LnB loop through). All you will need is two F connectors and a piece of Sat cable, from your local DiY store. You will only be able to watch unscrambled channels on Sly but it will give you some idea of this boxs pottential. As a motorised system I have some 8000 channels.:whistling:
Good luck
Kind Regards
Akman

Mate thanks for the Info, we need to talk more in the future will need some help setting up to a similar system to yours, wanted to get a big dish and need help on what the best to buy. Thanks again m8

Back