Can Openbox / cable box work without sky dish?

dk1234

Hello

I'm new to all this, so sorry if this is quite basic stuff.

Currently my gf has Virgin Media Phone, TV and Broadband. I'm hoping I can get something like the openbox that a friend of mine has, but he has a sky dish installed. I don't have a sky dish or any other dish installed so I was wondering if I could get a box that would work with the Virgin Media wires/cables that I already have? Is such a thing possible or must I have a dish?

If I must have a dish could you recommend the ways to get one, a decent one and how much an install might cost. I'm in North London if that helps with rough prices if needed.

if you have a cable feed then it makes sense to get yourself and enigma 2 cable box...Zgemma H2 maybe you can not get satellite tv without a dish..
A complete sky dish set up is only around £25 to fit yourself this is the cheapest way...available on fleabay etc..if you cannot fit it then you find someone in your area who can and pay them...or just order the cheapest sky package for a year and get them to fit the dish etc...

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me.

My gf don't want to have a dish installed so it looks like if I try this out it will only be wit a box that uses the VM feed. I've been having a browse around and I was thinking of getting Amiko Mini Combo HD Compact as it's not that pricey or is something like the Zgemma H2 worth an extra £30-£40 over it? So just to be clear I would be able to get all VM package once I get a line from somewhere? My gf has phone, Broadband and TV, is it best to keep basic tv package or can she get rid of it. She will definitely keep the phone and broadband.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

Hello, I replied but I think it disappeared as I tried to edit my post too many times. I was saying that I was thinking of getting the Amiko Mini HD Combo stb as it's not that expensive as an entry stb. I have no dish and gf don't want one after checking with her so look like cable for us. Is the Zgemma H2 worth £30-£40 more than the Amiko Mini HD Combo stb? is it better supported? offer more features?

Zgemma would probably be better than the Amiko, it isn't officially supported by Vix
so you may run into trouble at some point as they are using modded Vix images mainly, which they aren't happy about for obvious reasons.

This will be better again, with better support, it can be ordered pre flashed with the official Vix image.

HTML:
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Hybrid-Cable-Terrestrial-Digital-HD-Receivers/Miraclebox-Linux-HD-Hybrid-Cable-Terrestrial-Receivers/Miraclebox-Mini-Hybrid-DVB-C-T-T2

but I guess it depends on your budget, but be wary ! pay cheap, pay twice !! lol

Zgemma would probably be better than the Amiko, it isn't officially supported by Vix
so you may run into trouble at some point as they are using modded Vix images mainly, which they aren't happy about for obvious reasons.

This will be better again, with better support, it can be ordered pre flashed with the official Vix image.

HTML:
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Hybrid-Cable-Terrestrial-Digital-HD-Receivers/Miraclebox-Linux-HD-Hybrid-Cable-Terrestrial-Receivers/Miraclebox-Mini-Hybrid-DVB-C-T-T2

but I guess it depends on your budget, but be wary ! pay cheap, pay twice !! lol

That looks like an decent stb. Is it Engima 2 based? Will I need anything else other than requesting a line? I see in some posts that some features are not included, where can I find these add-ons and are they easy to install? My gf is currently on a TV package if I get that stb from WOS can I set it up while she still has the TV package on? She will keep BB and phone should she keep min tv package or can she cancel it or will it affect getting the channels?

I also have VM at mine if I moved box from mine to gf house will it still work or is line tied to IP address or something like that?

as long as u have got some kind of vm coming into ur house like just internet the u can use these box`s

I went for the Miraclebox-Mini-Hybrid-DVB-C-T-T2 from WOS and it has Vix preinstalled. Do I need to add anything else to it? when I was searching here for general info I saw something about Add-ons mentioned? Should I get those before I set it up or can I add those later?

I've got the Miraclebox-Mini-Hybrid-DVB-C-T-T2 and it has Vix preinstalled and I was following the guide "how to setup an E2 box. I have "Tuner A" as "Tuner A: DVB-C NIM (DVB-C) underneath that it says "Switchable tuner types: DVB-T2,DVB-C)" and than "Enabled" underneath that.
When I get to scan channels I get an AutoBouquetsMaker pop up with a red circle and cross that says "Timeout for tuner lock"

Earlier in the set up at "Scan additional SR" I first put 6952 and then tried 6887. When scanning with "Start Scan" for channels I get the same message "Timeout for tuner lock". also when it is scanning it says services 0 video - 0 radio.

Just to note aswell I have not got a line yet as I thought I'll get it ready first. I assume that I would pick up the EPG without a line wouldn't I? also I see different names mentioned for lines is it a particular type that I need or is it any?

Read More at : http://www.techkings.org/general-cable-tv/65283-guide-how-set-up-e2-combo-box-vix-image-6.html

As I was searching around I saw somebody mention that there Network ID was 1 digit, mines is 5 digits, could that make a difference?

---------- Post Merged at 01:34 PM ----------

Also just to note all I have plugged in to the box is the Power cable, Ethernet cable and the HDMI wire. Is anything else required to be plugged in?

Yes, you need the VM coax attached too !!

You will need one of these

f to ariel.jpg

Screw it in to the VM F connector, then push it on to tuner A at the back of your box.

If you have only got one cable coming in which feeds your router you will need to get a splitter kit.

So you have a VM feed to your router and to your box

Knew this would come in handy !!! lol

This thread here

will tell you all you need to know about splitters !!! lol

There is a list of net id's here (y)

Last edited:
Thanks alot I didn't realise that I needed anything else plugged in. I have a V1gin box already could I just use the cable from that? it looks like it sort of screws together. If not I'll get those parts pronto. Thanks again.

Yeah, you can use the one to the virgin box, It will probably have a screw (F connector) end
so you will still need the little adapter above.

When you scan (even without a line in the box) you should get a full list of channels in the EPG.

Only BBC 1 , 2, ITV 1 and CH 4 are likely to give you a picture to view, the rest will show as a blank screen
until you put a line in.

Hi all, I have just bought my self a zgemma h2. Do I put the sky leads from my dish into the back of it to tune?
New to all this ☺

If I have a combo box (cable and sat) does the same line work for both or are they a completely different thing? I am thinking of moving my box from my sky feed downstairs to my vm feed downstairs. Thanks in advance. :)

Yeah, you can use the one to the virgin box, It will probably have a screw (F connector) end
so you will still need the little adapter above.

When you scan (even without a line in the box) you should get a full list of channels in the EPG.

Only BBC 1 , 2, ITV 1 and CH 4 are likely to give you a picture to view, the rest will show as a blank screen
until you put a line in.

ah this now makes more sense, I thought only getting channel 12345 was a problem as I thought I should get all FTA channels

thanks for guide bees couldn't find a dedicated one for cable anywhere

Last edited:
i had the same when i got my box i was trying bbc1hd to ch 5hd and wasn't getting a picture till i tried the sd versions. it seems with vm the hd channels are not fta

Back