Can Virgin detect line use when non customer?

Sparky81

I set myself up with a new Vu Uno 4K and cable line approx. 10 days ago. This is despite not being a Virgin customer.

All worked fine as of this morning. Just turned the TV on and it's gone dead (even FTA).

I'very checked the connections and tried restarting the box etc. but there's no indication I'm getting a signal anymore.

Presumably Virgin have shut the line down - does anyone know if they can detect use of their services amongst non-customers?

So you are not a virgin subscriber but have a old virgin cable in your house I take it , have you checked your connections etc line provider Restarted your router ,

Yes - your summary is correct.

I've checked connections - not bothered with router etc. yet as the tuners aren't getting a signal (even FTA), so my initial conclusion is either a problem with the a cable (wire), or that Virgin have killed the line.

If there is something else this could be, I'm all ears...

So no sd channels , could be your cut of at the virgin box in the street , seems strange no sd fta channels

All scans pick up absolutely nothing.

That's my assumption. Just trying to figure out if Virgin can detect whether the line can be used. I last had Virgin broadband about 3-4 years ago, so seems too much of a coincidence for the line to stay live that long and then suddenly die on me now.

F*ck it - I was quite pleased that I didn't have to sign-up for Virgin Broadband to get HD channels back.

It's pissing down here, so not gonna go outside to check just yet (although I did take look earlier). Have checked / tightened / reconnected the feed into my box 3 times and played around with tuner and ABM settings - all get the same result. No channels whatsoever.

Unless someone has been tampering with the Virgin feed on the wall outside (looked fine when I checked earlier), absolutely nothing has been touched on my Vu box since this morning (when it was working fine).

I'll try replacing the cable bringing in the feed tomorrow, but if that doesn't work, are there any other possibilities I can try, or resign myself to paying for Virgin Broadband?

I'll see if there is a box on their wall tomorrow.

However, if Virgin detected my line was active without being a subscriber, surely it will just happen again, assuming my neighbours don't subscribe (they are a bunch of deaf, elderly alcoholics).

Seems like your a bit unlucky there , you could take the box to someone who has a live virgin feed and try there and if it works then virgin has cut you , and if so and if possible you could go back to them as a new customer.

Given that the Vu box wasn't touched (physically or in terms of settings) between morning and afternoon, I'm convinced this was down to Virgin pulling the plug.

However, I have noticed that the cover on the junction box on my street is open, so presumably I could plug myself back in. Has anyone ever done this? If so, Did Virgin just pull the plug again?

Back