Can Virmin tell that the signal has been split?

redhot2k4

I only have one line in directly to my router for broadband, is it possible for Virmin to know if I put a splitter on and split the line to my Zgemma?

Yes they can I have mine split with a tivo and zgemma but its perfectly legal to watch FTA channels that's all they see a zgemma box not what's installed on it

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

just change the name of the box
Menu / setup / network / mounts setup / mounts manager / change host name
i called my h2h Now Tv
when you look on your network all you will see is a NowTv box ;)

Why change the name of your box there is nothing illegal as far as cable know they are just FTA boxes just like now TV box

Yes they can I have mine split with a tivo and zgemma but its perfectly legal to watch FTA channels that's all they see a zgemma box not what's installed on it

Read your terms and conditions, you will find your not allowed to connect anything to a VM cable feed, only their authorised equipment.

does Now TV connect to cable?

not sure how changing the hostname will change the way it appears on the "CABLE" network. its a SMB hostname that is on the ethernet network which is not what the OP is talking about.

its was in this setup guide that i used when i 1st got my box http://www.techkings.org/threads/openatv-set-up-guide.114651/
and it seemed like a good idea to change the box name so you cant see its a zgemmah2h on the network
Yeap, it's definitely a good idea to change the name. ;-)

If you happen to be speaking to virmin on the phone they will see you have a " PlayStation 4" or " now TV "

Ultimately if the tech department wanted to look into what information is passing through your hub, I'm quite sure they will know what's really going on.

To the average person on the phone there unlikely to raise an eyebrow.

Takes less than a minute to change and is a little safer ;-)

The box shows up as a connected device when connected to the router with an ethernet cable, not the incoming coax if that makes sense. Virmin only see whats connected to your router and as a zgemma has to be connected to a router to be able to receive pay channels, this is widely known and it's advisable to change the host name on the zgemma to something else so should you ever have to contact virmin customer services you are less likely to encounter any issues.

The box shows up as a connected device when connected to the router with an ethernet cable, not the incoming coax if that makes sense. Virmin only see whats connected to your router and as a zgemma has to be connected to a router to be able to receive pay channels, this is widely known and it's advisable to change the host name on the zgemma to something else so should you ever have to contact virmin customer services you are less likely to encounter any issues.

Thanks, this is what I wanted to know.

I'm aware they would be able to see devices connected to the router and have changed the hostname.

My concern was that they would know the coax has been split.

For the security conscious best to run the virgin router in modem mode - its a piece of crap anyway.

No they can't see it has been split.

Make sure you do the split and connections properly and tight otherwise your cause ingress on their network which they can detect.

They can only see what is attached to your router if they remotely log into it, usually only with your permission, i.e when they are on the phone with you troubleshooting.

Apart from that they only see signal levels of the modem connection.

Back