Cable cant flash backup h7 custom

siilver

TK Veteran
was trying openpli and it wasn't doing what i wanted
so i wanted to go back to my old backup

so placed it on the usb and put it in and the flsh pops up for a second and then down, no flash took place

so went flash stock openatv, went on first time no problem
tried my backup again, same thing flsh pops up for a second and then down, no flash took place

so tried openspa, flashed no problem
tried my backup again, same thing flsh pops up for a second and then down, no flash took place

any of my own backups dont work at all

never had this before, anyone

finaly got it flashed, setup standard openatv and did a local from inside of the box
but i need to back up and reflash to see if there is a bigger problem

backed up the box, and put the backup on the usb stick, same thing flsh pops up for a second and then no flash happens

I think it's a partitioning issue.
I don't know if it's the same with the H7 but on the HD51, ATV gives you the option to multiboot 4 different OS with a different partition for each OS.
OpenPLI deletes all partitions and uses the whole flash.
I think when you're trying to restore your backup image, the partition it's trying to restore to doesn't actually exist anymore.

i no the h7 gives you an option for multi boot, never touched it or went near it mind

so your saying the pli as setup another partition on the box
as the pli started the problem

I don't bother with multiboot either.
I know that on the HD51, OpenPLI will wipe everything and just make one partition.
Your ATV backup will have a line in it pointing to the partition it needs to restore to:
startup_1, startup_2 etc.
Flashing a clean ATV should sort it and then your backup should work again.

When you make a backup image are you using the yellow button to change the startup option?
You need to keep pressing the yellow button until it changes to RECOVERY to make a usb bootable flash.

yes i have seen that

so i will make a backup to recovery

flash a clean openatv
then flash my backup again

thanks for your help mate, a star as always
il let you know thanks

I just use yellow to change to RECOVERY, create image to HDD and then drag the zgemma folder from the root of the hdd to a usb stick.

It's something to do with ARM boxes. The same on the HD51 and SF4008.
My theory is that it backs up the whole partition including free space.
If you zip it up you'll see that it will compress to less than 150Mb.

i have plenty of space

seems to have worked i can now flash my own back up

do i need to run a recovery every time now?

or can i switch back to startup or what it was before

The startup options are for restoring using the image manager to specific partitions.
If you want to flash by USB you need to change it to recovery every time.

startup - doesnt work
startup_1 - doesnt work
recovery - works

i never put it to recvoery before to make it work, weird

That's because OpenPli changed the partition structure of the flash and the recovery doesn't know where to restore to.
While you were still using ATV and the partition structure was the same, you can get away with flashing startup recoveries.

ARM boxes are a pain in the arse for this. ViX have disabled couch flashing because of this and you can only use USB.

Can't you flash new ATV and restore your backup image using the image manager?

yea thats the only way of flashing my own backups

but if i make the box crash and not boot, i will need to flash stock then flash my own after it
as before i can just flash my own
i have lost that now

yea thats the only way of flashing my own backups

but if i make the box crash and not boot, i will need to flash stock then flash my own after it
as before i can just flash my own
i have lost that now

.... but you've learned something about what a pain making backups from ARM boxes is!
That's why ViX have binned couch flashing. Too many people flashing backups that won't boot.

Back