changing hdd?

krh1874

I installed wooshbuild this week and got my line set up, everything is working fine and dandy now.
The usb stick thats in the back is a 32gb Toshiba, but I have a spare 320gb hdd and I wanted to use
this instead, but I don't know how to go about changing it over, I'm guessing its not just a simple
case of unplugging one and plugging in the other. Is it even worth bothering? I record 'some' stuff
but not very much - how many hours would the 32gb stick hold?

At a very rough guide, my PPV SD recording of just under an hour was a gig.
An HD recording (eg BBC1) uses about a gig every 15 mins

So, circa 30 gig usable space will give about 30 hours SD and 7.5 in HD.
Roughly.

Using a hard drive with the H2S will not only increase recording space the loading speed of the EPG, loading times of recorded programs, smoother rewind and FF and can reduce system slow downs when your box gets busy with recording and playing back at the same time etc.

The WooshBuild FAQs explain the simplest way to prepare and use a hard drive in place of an existing USB stick. I can't remember the FAQ number but it is there.

Got to admit I found the exact opposite re EPG times, and I'm not the only one. With the EPG being read off a USB stick (or MicroSD card) there is no "spin up" time / delay that you get from a hard drive. I found the delay really annoying.

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely better to have, but if you go back far enough in the threads, you will find a lot of people use a usb stick or microsd for EPG for speed, and a portable 2.5"HD for recordings.

Fair comment and seek times were not one I had thought of. I used to use a MicroSD for EPG and swap but never really noticed the difference so might have to have a play when I find time. My drive is set not to go to sleep though unless the box is off so wonder if that makes a difference.

Thanks, 20-30hrs is way more than I use, so as long as I remember to delete, the 32gb stick will be plenty

That's probably what it is woosh. I just didn't fancy having the poor wee HD spinning 24/7 so had it going to sleep after a few mins of inactivity.

Back