Checking if cable is live

I see. What would be the indication that the line is still live then (as internet would not be working).

Is a particular indicator going to be blinking/light up in the case it's still live?

I'm trying to determine if my cable is live, and tried connecting it to a tv with a 'F-Connector Socket to RF Coax Aerial Male Adapter' and scanning, but nothing has come up. Does this mean the line is dead or is it not possible to test this way?

Thanks
It won't work connecting the virgin cable direcly to a tv. Your tv is scanning for freeview frequencies. Virgin works on different frequencies. Get a hold of a H2H box at £65, set the correcr 'netid' for your area and see what results you get. If none, go out to the green box in the street and recconect your home with an F-plug. [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It won't work connecting the virgin cable direcly to a tv. Your tv is scanning for freeview frequencies. Virgin works on different frequencies. Get a hold of a H2H box at £65, set the correcr 'netid' for your area and see what results you get. If none, go out to the green box in the street and recconect your home with an F-plug. [emoji2]

Saw a openreach guy in town yesterday and I was just about to go and have a nosy at the green box layout.
Just as i got there he shut the box up :(

Surely the router would come on but flash on the rx/tx phase if there was no account at the property ?
You wont get internet unless you have a paid up account with them

It's the mac address of the router which gets activated, not the line. Once the equipment is activated, you can unplug it and plug it in at another house with a live VM line and have full functionality... so i've been told.

have you checked if anyone is selling an old box in your area? a quick look for my area there are two cisco boxes for £10, one which the bid is only
99p.

It can work, there is a difference between the Ariel/Terrestrial tuners and the Cable tuners that are built into TVs.

Literally every TV has a DVB-T/2 tuner since Freeview is pretty much in every TV

Only some TVs have DVB-C for cable purposes, but they still do exist.

A friends Samsung Smart TV has all 3 tuners, (DVB-T2, DVB-S, DVB-C), though I never tried connecting VM into it.

Lool I was actually considering it, too bad the box is locked!

It can work, there is a difference between the Ariel/Terrestrial tuners and the Cable tuners that are built into TVs.

Literally every TV has a DVB-T/2 tuner since Freeview is pretty much in every TV

A friends Samsung Smart TV has all 3 tuners, (DVB-T2, DVB-S, DVB-C), though I never tried connecting VM into it.

Yh the TV I tested supported DVB-C so I'm not holding my breath!

Never saw a tv with cable tuner built in. Suppose it has a CA card slot too to decrypt?

Going in to an openreach guys box won't get you any further with your virgin tv conquest mate [emoji23]

Saw a openreach guy in town yesterday and I was just about to go and have a nosy at the green box layout.
Just as i got there he shut the box up :(

Yeah no point in looking at an openreach man as they only work on BT cabs. They're completely different. The Virmin street cab is in essence a coax amplifier accompanied with one big splitter with taps for different power levels. The higher taps are generally used for customers that are the furthest away from the street cab. Cables are secured with f-connectors to the taps and usually have tags attached with the door number of the property that particular cable is connected to. Best way to test if your cable is live is to connect an old virmin receiver to the cable and see what it does. If it shows an error message like LD:20 then it's dead or disconnected from the cab. If it boots up and shows a channel number on the front then it's live and good to use for cs.

Last edited:
Yeah no point in looking at an openreach man as they only work on BT cabs. They're completely different. The Virmin street cab is in essence a coax amplifier accompanied with one big splitter with taps for different power levels. The higher taps are generally used for customers that are the furthest away from the street cab. Cables are secured with f-connectors to the taps and usually have tags attached with the door number of the property that particular cable is connected to. Best way to test if your cable is live is to connect an old virmin receiver to the cable and see what it does. If it shows an error message like LD:20 then it's dead or disconnected from the cab. If it boots up and shows a channel number on the front then it's live and good to use for cs.
Haha, BT have separate boxes to virmin that's hilarious. I can see all the neighbours wondering why the leckies gone off!
They took their box back when we left. Perhaps for this reason?

Never saw a tv with cable tuner built in. Suppose it has a CA card slot too to decrypt?

Going in to an openreach guys box won't get you any further with your virgin tv conquest mate [emoji23]

My telly must have a dvb-c tuner in it because mine has a CA slot.

My Samsung TV has cable tuner as when tuning it gives me the option to tune terrestrial or cable.

I managed to finally get a tv box, connected it up and its stopping at AP:52

Its a V Box HD. Seems like this error means no signal, but when I go into the diagnostics menu it says 'Poor' for signal strength rather that no signal.

Is this a a dead line or is their still hope?

Thanks

Where did the TV box come from? ... it wont work unless it's a currently in service unit as when you take out a sub, they activate the mac of the box.

Back