1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cod liver oil V salmon oil for dogs coat/skin

Discussion in 'Pet Central' started by pabloescaban, Jul 15, 2017.

1. pabloescaban

pabloescaban Forum Supporter

I've been giving my dog one codliver oil capsule per day, only a small capsule, probably 3 or 4 drops in each capsule.
    I've just been reading about salmon oil, which is supposed to be much better, but the amount that people are using seems a lot to me, most folk are adding a tablespoon full to their dog's food daily!

That would be like 10 or more of the capsules I'm giving her now...not sure this is a good idea.

the salmon oils are available in big bottles - a litre or half a litre at a time...do any of the dog owners here use fish oils and if so which ones and how much? - cheers

2. pupuqiop

pupuqiop Forum Supporter

What food are you feeding her? I've found a decent quality, high meat content grain free food makes my dogs coat look good. The place I get mine from does a salmon food which will obviously contain salmon oil, but fish doesn't agree with my mutt so he has a lamb, duck and rabbit. People often comment on his coat.

3. Denoli

Denoli Member

Grabs popcorn :thumbsup:

pabloescaban likes this.
  4. woody6222

woody6222 Member

What breed is your dog and how old?

5. pabloescaban

Twelve, Border Collie cross breed.
    She's very, very active, runs all the time, playing all the time. She's not one for sitting still, she has a bit of dry skin which makes her itch. I've adjusted her diet trying to cut out whichever food it was that was causing the itching to no avail, even on a diet of boiled rice and boiled chicken she was itching just the same so it's not food related, this is when i found that she had dry skin

6. woody6222

woody6222 Member

I have a 14yr old border collie that could not get up and walk 12 months ago and I found a product called Yumove from these people that allowed him to get back to something like normal within a few weeks. So from the same people I suggest you try this YuMEGA Itchy Dog 250ml at Fetch.co.uk | The Online Pet Store

7. pabloescaban

That's not a bad price actually for 250ml.
    She'd only have 5ml per day so it would last her almost 2 months.

I'll order a bottle now, cheers matey!

8. woody6222

woody6222 Member

May I add at that time 12 months ago the vet wanted to put him down as he also has a tumor on his spleen , he said he only had a few weeks to live before it burst. I was told about Tumeric and he has 2 capsules per day and the size of tumor has reduced by over half. Google Tumeric as it is an interesting read and that also may help your dog. Tumeric capsules from Holland and Barrett

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  9. pabloescaban

I read about Tumeric years ago and have it in my diet regularly (I'll put a recipe up in the recipe section for bacon and lentil soup later which uses quite a bit of tumeric)

She's not got any tumors at the moment but she's fast approaching the age where stuff like this is gonna happen sooner or later, just hope I die first lol.

10. aldan

aldan VIP Member

we have a bichon frise,and she is plagued by itchy dry skin.gonna try that salmon oil.

pabloescaban likes this.
  11. pabloescaban

My mutt's been a bit better since starting the codliver oil but waiting on the salmon oil, looks a bit pricey at first but the cod liver oil capsules ain't cheap and don't work half as good