Complete Noob - Grateful of some help!

Hi,

I'm a complete noob in this subject so please bear with me if I don't make sense

Following the reason of switching as many, the ridiculous Sky costs, I am seeking an alternative! I have came across this forum and have been observing for a while for some basic information and advice.

Basically, as I said I want to replace my Sky box for a new receiver, first of all I am not sure which one. My maximum spend would be around the region of £150, as I don't know the hardware and specs side of the box I am unsure, however with that I would like to be able to record and have a reliable box with little manual work once it is set up. If I purchase of Amazon, what else do I need to install to the box and how? For example skins and any software?

The main channels I would want is the full Sky package, not too worries about watching in SD, however sometimes certain matches are on foreign channels, will this mean I need an IPTV server also?

I would like to be able to use multiroom as well, I have seen I would need to specify this in my server request, does this just mean I use the name server for each box? Maybe you might be able to point me in the direction for a multiroom starting guide?

How much am I looking to pay for a stable Sky server from a reliable host? Is this forum the best place to purchase?

Once I cancel my TV subscription and set up my box, do I just leave my satellite in the same position or does it need to be moved?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot for your time!:)

First of all best to get your box from WOS direct not amazon are ebay.
twin tuner boxes with 2 yr guarantee start from £109 + hard drive and 1 year sub. total around £200

your dish setup is the same. just need internet connection to plug new box into.

Multi room ask your sub suppiler, some charge alittle more for this.

get your suppiler of this website, need to put a request in when you or ready to go.

Thanks a lot for the reply!

By WOS, is this World of satellite?

Also, what twin tuner box do you recommend for around the £150 mark? Also, what size hard drive is needed? Do I install this myself or choose it as an extra whilst purchasing?

Yes world of sat, I would reccommend the Xtrend ET9500 2x DVB-S2 Linux Enigma 2 Linux HD Digital at £129. hard drive size depends on how much tv would you record. sky tend to fit 500gb hdd to there boxes that another £30 fitted when you purchase the box from WOS. openvix image is probably the best add that for free.

After I've bought this is it as simple as plug it in and plane once I've got the server? For example the channel lists and epg's? If I also want to change a skin to make it more like Sky how easy is this to do?

Also if there are any updates does this get done automatically with this box or not?

Last edited:
Back