Complete Noob - Some Basic Questions

AlexD

Hi Everyone,

I have just bought my first house, and i am wanting to get going with watching some channels. The previous guy had Virgin Broadband, and there also a Dish on the rear of the house. There are cables EVERYWHERE, I had some basic questions that i couldn't really find using search, i'm sure i'm just not using the right terminology yet but here goes:

- The Virgin Line currently comes out of the ground at the front of the house, infront of the lounge window there is a Nynex box, from here it goes up the wall round the side of the house to the study where the VM Wall Box is mounted, this is ok for broadband as this is where i will want the router, but i will want another cable coming out in the lounge to have and Edison box there. So is it ok to use a splitter at the Nynex box itself and go straight into the lounge?

- Cables, i can't really seem to find much info on what cable i should be using, currently there is a standard TV antenna going into the wall outside the lounge, ideally i would want to pull that out and re-thread the VM cable in its place, but what happens at the wall on the other side? I take it you can plug it into a standard Coaxial Cable wall socket? Would i need to install another VM type box on the wall?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Alex

Hi Everyone,

I have just bought my first house, and i am wanting to get going with watching some channels. The previous guy had Virgin Broadband, and there also a Dish on the rear of the house. There are cables EVERYWHERE, I had some basic questions that i couldn't really find using search, i'm sure i'm just not using the right terminology yet but here goes:

- The Virgin Line currently comes out of the ground at the front of the house, infront of the lounge window there is a Nynex box, from here it goes up the wall round the side of the house to the study where the VM Wall Box is mounted, this is ok for broadband as this is where i will want the router, but i will want another cable coming out in the lounge to have and Edison box there. So is it ok to use a splitter at the Nynex box itself and go straight into the lounge?

- Cables, i can't really seem to find much info on what cable i should be using, currently there is a standard TV antenna going into the wall outside the lounge, ideally i would want to pull that out and re-thread the VM cable in its place, but what happens at the wall on the other side? I take it you can plug it into a standard Coaxial Cable wall socket? Would i need to install another VM type box on the wall?

Thanks

Alex

Alex, it seems you have the best of both worlds with both cable feed and a dish.

Have a look around and see if there is another cable box in the lounge and you can take your signal from there. Seems strange that VM would only fit a feed to the upstairs. I reckon the feed from cable will be live anyway. So worst case scenario you could run a cable from the box upstairs and down into your Edison. You can buy the cable from ebay, just work out the length and you can even ask for the f connectors to be fitted as well.
Then all you need to do is get a isp provider, cheapest would do really as you don't need to have the vm bband. Not too clued up on the Edison box but if its a combo box then you can fire a feed into the sat tuner as well, you then just need the two lines to get them both working

You can put a splitter in the nynex box and run a cable from there to your Edison box as for cable you can use and coaxial cable I personally use satellite cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex, it seems you have the best of both worlds with both cable feed and a dish.

Have a look around and see if there is another cable box in the lounge and you can take your signal from there. Seems strange that VM would only fit a feed to the upstairs. I reckon the feed from cable will be live anyway. So worst case scenario you could run a cable from the box upstairs and down into your Edison. You can buy the cable from ebay, just work out the length and you can even ask for the f connectors to be fitted as well.
Then all you need to do is get a isp provider, cheapest would do really as you don't need to have the vm bband. Not too clued up on the Edison box but if its a combo box then you can fire a feed into the sat tuner as well, you then just need the two lines to get them both working

Yeah i thought it was a bit strange too, the guy had a pretty substantial setup in the Study and i think he worked from home maybe thats why he had it patched straight there.

There are two sat cables in the lounge in a corner where he had his tv but not where i am planning to put mine so i might check that to see if he already had a Sat / Cable setup going, although im sure the VM cable simply terminates in the box upstairs and doesnt split off elsewhere.

You can put a splitter in the nynex box and run a cable from there to your Edison box as for cable you can use and coaxial cable I personally use satellite cable.

Ok thanks for confirming that its good to know, would satellite cables give better signal?

I wonder if theres a nice looking VM style box to put on the lounge wall instead of having a bare cable coming through.

Cheers

Alex

aa60e97976874c52598e5bde8a377e9e.jpg

Ok so i have been to the house and had a proper look at whats going on.

The VM cable is as i mentioned previously. There are 4 cables coming out of the dish at the back of the house, one goes straight into the study, 2 go down into the lounge (in the wrong place) and one goes above the lounge into the bedroom.

Can i somehow cap off or disconnect the one going into the study and the 2 in the wrong place in the lounge?? Also can the satellite cable be split before it heads up into the room to feed intothe correct place in the lounge??

Also, if i have 1 combo reciever in the lounge and another in the bedroom, do i need to pay for 2 gifts.

Thanks

Alex

Hi Everyone,

Thanks

Alex

Are you sure you don't need the VM broadband to keep the line live? They will just disconnect if you don't.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

According to his first post he is keeping virgin because he wants to keep the virgin connection in the study for his router.

According to his first post he is keeping virgin because he wants to keep the virgin connection in the study for his router.

Ah ok, I only said because you mentioned you don't need to have VM bb and can use any isp, but i thought you needed an active VM connection.

Hi Oktv123, after having a quick look on the net you are correct i do indeed have that, apologies i'm still getting used to the terminology, that sounds perfect, i can disconnect two and just need to get a roll of cable to re-run where i require them. I presume high speed Powerline Adaptors will be adequate for the boxes?

Sounds like a good plan, any chance i could get a rough idea of cost from somewhere? Thanks

Are you sure you don't need the VM broadband to keep the line live? They will just disconnect if you don't.

Yes correct I am keeping the VM line and will be getting their 100mb connection.

I appreciate all the help guys I feel now I am comfortable in getting this set up nicely (when i get some ££ back in my pocket, bloody house has rinsed me :censored:ROFL ).

Thanks

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Back