Confused on Tuner types

darrena

Hi
I have sky and VM cable
I would like to be able to record cable whilst watching another cable channel and have the sat feed as a back up for recording / watching as this will only SD.
Been looking at the Octagon SF4008 but been getting confused on what tuner setup I need. Can someone please help? Is it 2X DVB-C/T/T2 + 1x DVB-S/S2/S2X? I think the reason I keep getting confused is the fact that DVB-C/T/T2 seems to have a TV aerial type connection rather than the F-type sky connection that my VM box has.
Sorry but any advice welcomed

Yes that's the one you need. You'll need an RF adaptor for each cable input, your cable just screws into that and then you push it into the tuner.

Thanks that's great.
Do you have any experience with these, are they any good?
Also is the OpenATV firmware any good as I understand the preferred Vix is not yet available?

On question, if I don't get a cable gift will this box just act as a free view box with record facility?

Many thanks :-)

Haven't got personal experience but haven't heard anything negative on them either.

I use OpenATV on my boxes and it's spot on, Vix is just a little easier for newer people to understand but even then it's not too hard.

And yes, these boxes are free to air receivers, just so happens that they can be modified to do 'other' things. But you won't get free to air HD on the cable tuners without a gift.

Is there anyway VM can tell you are tapping in to free channels. We currently have vm broadband and basic tito package.

They can probably tell but they won't care enough about you doing it to do anything. There are far too many end users for that, so the people that matter just focus on trying to stop the suppliers.

Yes and no. It looks and sounds much harder than it is because there's quite a bit of terminology in there you might not know immediately but there's loads of guides about, there's some good ones on here too. And if you get stuck along the way, you can always ask for help. No doubt someone else will have had the same issue as you at some point. :)

Is it hard to set these boxes up?

No its actually not that difficult when you have the right tools. The Octagon SF4008 is a great box. I run open atv 5.3 with slyk skin and oscam cam setup. personally I didn't bother with the sly tuner its sd only as you know. If you only want HD then the 1st tuner is a 1 x twin / dual dvb-c so you can watch and record another. you can add the other tuner to make the box a triple and choose dvb-c or dvb-s

Forgot to mention if you decide on that box there's a combo image build by Willo ready to use.

Last edited:
No its actually not that difficult when you have the right tools. The Octagon SF4008 is a great box. I run open atv 5.3 with slyk skin and oscam cam setup. personally I didn't bother with the sly tuner its sd only as you know. If you only want HD then the 1st tuner is a 1 x twin / dual dvb-c so you can watch and record another. you can add the other tuner to make the box a triple and choose dvb-c or dvb-s

Forgot to mention if you decide on that box there's a combo image build by Willo ready to use.

Hi
Thanks, is Willo another forum user?

You can add Willo's build anyway and just alter the tuner type for the third one to suit your setup, I'm fairly sure.

It'll be in the downloads section. But yeah you just flash it over the top.
Cheers found it :-) Sorry if you haven't already noticed, I'm new to this!

So how hard is it to install a gift and be up and running following the successful installation of Willo's build? I've already had a few people PM me ref gifts for VM cable and sky

- - - Updated - - -

Yes that's the one you need. You'll need an RF adaptor for each cable input, your cable just screws into that and then you push it into the tuner.
Janso
Will that be a male of female adaptor?

It's easy to install the gift. Depends on what format you get your line in, but in OptnATV everything goes in the same location.

N lines supposedly run best in mgcamd, C lines go in CCcam. Once you know which line you've got, find either newcamd.list for N lines (in CWS = format) or CCcam.cfg for a C line and then go to the softcam panel (press blue) and activate the cam.

- - - Updated - - -

And it'll be whichever one has a pin in the middle of the side you push into the box. lol

yes that's right its an RF adaptor, screws on the end of the cable then goes into the dvb-c tuner simple as that. And theres also a help me guide on the willo build on how to add your line.

great, sure it will make much more sense when I have the box and see all the menus etc.
Will I need just the one cable feed to watch one and record another? My Tivo box just takes one VM cable feed

Back