Confusion has set in & refuses to budge !

Hello everyone, my mate got an openbox (plug & play) a few weeks back which works a treat, and made me want to get one too, so he took me to his supplier who unfortunately didn't have any left but did show me a zgemma h2s (again plug & play) which I was impressed with. I didn't have enough cash with me otherwise I would have bought it on the spot so arrangements were made to go back at a later date. Once home though the mind started wandering and I wondered what would happen if things went tits up, are there other better machines available, would I be able to get things working again if I needed to and so on.... on those thoughts lots of web browsing led me here. I wondered if I could get a box from scratch & set it up myself but the more I read the more the confusion set in. Some time ago this wouldn't have been an issue but now the mind isn't as agile as it once was. So what I'm wanting to know, if you don't mind me asking is ..... what box to buy, I need more than one, one for the caravan( standard BT broadband connection) and one for home ( Uber speed broadband) that has timeshift & multi recording if possible. Basically, recommendations for a box/es that I could possibly set up from scratch (with a complete how to idiots guide) and if thats beyond me which I think it might be then any recommendations of where to obtain what might suit me best. Prices that I've seen seem to go from one extreme to another although price isn't an issue I don't want to overpay through ignorance, I don't understand what lines, ccams, gifts or most of the other tech terms I've seen are so please forgive my ignorance. Please forgive the waffling on and my apologies if there is something on this post that shouldn't be here. Hopefully someone can help & push me into the right direction for my needs, thanks in anticipation & I look forward to replies of messages.... Reggie :-)

Hi,

I'm not going to give you a massive reply to get you more confused than you already are.... Buy the boxes yourself and set them up yourself, most of these "plug in and play" boxes are over priced.

1) Buy a zgemma from the forum sponsor here: Zgemma Star Satellite Receiver's - Official Store and get a H.2S twin tuner box
2) Go to the zgemma section here: Zgemma-Star H.2S for a pre-load flashable image which will do most of the hard work for you. Either Wooshbuild or Sucmansee's
3 ) Request a line by requesting in this section: http://www.techkings.org/general-sa...commend-good-server-satellite-april-only.html
Now you have a twin tuner sat box with all the features and channels..... Simple

Now for the caravan
1) PM The Reaper for a V8 box, goto this thread: http://www.techkings.org/openbox-satellite/89509-v8-golden-onwards-v8-pro.html
2) Search for how to use a mobile dongle with a V8 as it can be done
3) You may need a second line for this box, speak to your line provider about that, if you do purchase a second line, if not then happy days.
Now you are watching TV on your Caravanning holidays..... Simples too

Hope this basic reply helps get you in the right frame of mind to move forward

Just to butt in if I may..
As you state you have broadband in your caravan, take your chosen box with you.
Any recordings you have made (prsuming you have a hdd or usb stick attached for such reasons) can be viewed whilst enjoying your weekend away with a large glass of wine or beer.
You will need only one line also as you will be using only one box.
Kieron

Wow, thanks Blackwidow for the quick and very helpful reply, I will have a look tomorrow when the zzzz's aren't beckoning, I should have made clear that the caravan will have BT broadband (if BT get their finger out) so a wireless dongle won't be needed, my mates works prefect with the same setup. There is still the confusion about lines but I'm assuming I'm going to be educated them about fairly soon. (y)

Your welcome mate, and if your caravan is getting Broadband than thomaskieron has a point about taking your box with you or you can buy a dedicated box, its up to you and what your budget it.

Now that its not the middle of the night, here's some more information. You don't have to buy the zgemma as there are a range of boxes on the market, have a read of this thread: http://www.techkings.org/general-satellite-discussion/77914-buyers-guide-best-box.html to get an idea of what your looking for, work out your budget and then look at your options.

As for a line, post your request for a line, you'll get plenty of PM's so make sure your inbox is empty, now pick some providers who you think is offering a line at a fair price and then test a line, I would tell anyone to test several lines first, work out which is the best line on your box, your looking for the line that offers you all the channels you want and glitches/freezes the least as all line glitch at some point but but a good line will only do this once every so often. You can get lines which allow you to run on more than 1 box too (multiroom) so look for those too.

Have a look around the forum and read read read to learn what you need and how to do it

Confusion has set in & refuses to budge !

Just to add if u take your box from home be careful as "lines" are ip dependant. So different ip = line stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just to add if u take your box from home be careful as "lines" are ip dependant. So different ip = line stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Line is fine aslong as not in use in two different ip addresses at the same time (if server detects two ip addresses you will be barred with no refund)

Back