Daughter looking to change car. What would you recommend

Zakutd

TK Supporter
So my daughter is wanting to change her car. She has a budget of around £5000 and has said she likes the vw golf tdi/ Audi A3/ bmw 1 series. Can anyone recommend a particular model and what to look for,Or any other recommendations for cars around the £5000 price. She has some movement with her budget. Thanks for any help/advice.

hi golf audi basically are the same mechanically as both companies are owned by VAG group so its a matter of personal preference . if shes not in a hurry to buy just yet might be an idea to google non recorded salvage where you can maybe get say a golf lightly damaged say scrape down one side and get it repaired ( in a proper body shop so you cant tell its been repaired ) that way if you spend £5000 you should be able to get a car worth around £7000 and nobody will be the wiser its been repaired as it will not be registered by any of the insurance companies hence no history if some one does hpi check. some thing to look at obviously not quite straight forward or every one would be at it but take a look and i'll help you through it. back to your question bmw and audi more prestige keep away from high milleage as they are prone to electrical problems and wont be a cheap fix as it will be diagnostics. hope that helps

So my daughter is wanting to change her car. She has a budget of around £5000 and has said she likes the vw golf tdi/ Audi A3/ bmw 1 series. Can anyone recommend a particular model and what to look for,Or any other recommendations for cars around the £5000 price. She has some movement with her budget. Thanks for any help/advice.
If this was my daughter I would try to keep her away from the 'boy racer' types as you have mentioned, all of which are expensive to service and repair. Talking from experience as I have run a golf TSI for the past 4 years. Plenty girly cars around.

Look at my profile Gobshyte .I spent 6 yrs learning my trade as of the old school. I don't think there are many around these days that can say they are actually panel beaters, more likely panel fitters,body repairers or even bodgers which is more likely,and the write off game was washed out in the 70s.As from my Profile you can see my age and at present I am restoring a Triumph Spitfire for my neighbor so go try teach your grandmother to suck eggs. Sorry mods for my explosion but this creep got up my nose. BAN ME IF YOU LIKE.
you are so out of line here its a wonder you have not been banned already.so called panel beaters are pretty much irrelevant nowadays.cars are just not repaired that way anymore.and if you want to talk credentials ive been a licenced mechanic for over 30 years and have done mechanicals on many builders,so instead of looking for a fight,which you appear to be,why not join the conversation in a constructive way?my grandparents came to canada from scotland and all you seem to be doing is making scotsman appear ignorant and combative.get real.

are you really that thick?calm down a couple of notches.we all have our opinions and we are all entitled to them.the first thing you have done out of the gate is to attack a forumn members opinion,in an arrogant combative manner.as to the op,dont know how prices compare in your country to canada but i would think 5000 pounds would buy a decent car.like was said vw golf,jetta,audi,all decent cars.not boy racers either.lol.over here they are a definite girly car.if you want to go domestic a ford focus isnt a bad bet as well.again,i dont know how prices compare between our two countries.

yep german cars my garage loves them pieces of crap and expensive to maintain,i had a 09 polo in yesterday 1.2 timing chain issue model but her issues are rattles from cat under ex manifold,abs module issue and engine module issue possibly need replacing from vw and coding 49th miles.

07 polo today needed a new right hand rear door lock common as muck,3 left to be replaced:grin:

bottom line,any car chosen should be checked out by a qualified mechanic.hell i drive a 1999 neon with 305,000 miles and its been bullitproof.

Back