Deep fat fryer

gigsta

Hi all can you use supermarket block lard in a closeable lid based delongi deep fat fryer or has it got to be bottled vegetable oil i.e crisp n dry,tempretures can exceed to 180 to 190 degrees thanks in advance.

Been putting pork dripping in mi deep fat fryer sends mi chips browner but not much difference in taste only colour.Got the idea from mi local chip shop merchant that's what he does
"might have to put some more in" :emoji_fork_knife_plate:

Last edited:
I thought most chippys used beef dripping that has a kind of wallpaper paste texture to it unlike blocks of lard...not sure if either can be used in domestic fryers tbh tho..

I sometimes make a batch of thrice cooked chips and have used groundnut oil but sunflower oil is also good, its the only heston blumenthal recipe i have actually been able to complete lolz..there is loads of recipes but the good thing is that on the 2nd stage of cooking the chips, they can then be stored in an air tight container for up to a week in your fridge.

Fluffy potatoes is also key,when available i use a potato that most wont have heard of, or can even find.....the good old kerr pink ! although other potatoes recommended in recipes will suffice.

They aint chippie chips and maybe not the tasty and greasy chips you are after but they are banging chips none the less.

Last edited:
T
I thought most chippys used beef dripping that has a kind of wallpaper paste texture to it unlike blocks of lard...not sure if either can be used in domestic fryers tbh tho..

I sometimes make a batch of thrice cooked chips and have used groundnut oil but sunflower oil is also good, its the only heston blumenthal recipe i have actually been able to complete lolz..there is loads of recipes but the good thing is that on the 2nd stage of cooking the chips, they can then be stored in an air tight container for up to a week in your fridge.

Fluffy potatoes is also key,when available i use a potato that most wont have heard of, or can even find.....the good old kerr pink ! although other potatoes recommended in recipes will suffice.

They aint chippie chips and maybe not the tasty and greasy chips you are after but they are banging chips none the less.
thanks for the great idea's
was my local chippy fryer he just mentioned dripping presumed pork used that cos we have a lot of that on sundays may try beef one day

T

thanks for the great idea's
was my local chippy fryer he just mentioned dripping presumed pork used that cos we have a lot of that on sundays may try beef one day

Anything cooked in pork fat is always gonna be good anyway so if thats what your local fryer meant then he has a point:) oink

Bit of a faf thrice cooked chips but because a batch can be made it makes sense...you can also mess around with oil/fat temperatures with thrice cooked...lower temperature means less crunch but more fat on the chip which means more taste...:) good luck

i use both
a rotary fryer and lard ,chips not very good (might be ma totties )
halogen oven , chips always dry

i just use a philips hot air fryer for chips and jml halogen oven for my steak and a frying pan for my eggs.

i just use a philips hot air fryer for chips and jml halogen oven for my steak and a frying pan for my eggs.
no
no
NOOOOOOOO
steak should always be fried,
WTF is this thing with cooking steak in an oven,,,?
pan fried rump, with the onions in the pan, best steak you will ever eat,

I always pan pry steak at a very high heat as steptoe has highlighted,,i use veg oil on the steak only and not the pan...however oven steaks can work depending on which cut you use and whether or not its had a seal in the pan primarily.

My steaks are either fillet or my favourite ribeye with both at medium rare so oven cooking is not required for me, other cuts like sirloin if good quality may have medium cooking recommendations so in the oven could make sense.....

As for pan fried eggs/// yukkkk ... rubberey fatty and bland waste of an egg...i only have eggs boiled/scrambled or my favourite which is poached,, poached or boiled you can at least taste the egg white.

no no no no @Celtic
steak should NEVER be cooked in an oven

only my opinion mind, I'm often wrong, see wife for details,,,,,,,,,,,,

Haha sorry looks like i made a post on error!!.... lets not see wives for details...could get messy haha

Last edited by a moderator:
man made fire for a reason,
grilled steak is not proper,,,,,,,,,
if cooking involved grilling then leave it under the sun, fire was invented to cook it from below.
anytime Ive went to a restaurant and been served steak that hasnt been fried I've sent it back, much to my wifes embarasment , and I keep sending them back until they come out properly cooked,
fried in a pan,,,,

Ive said my bit....big guns coming out now....ask the french as they know how a steak should be cooked

Or we just shoot them down at dover:)

Last edited by a moderator:
the only time a steak should see a frying pan is to sear the juices in.after that if you cant do it on a char broiler or barbecue,you wouldnt last long where i work.lol.i cut our steaks myself at our restaurant.

I cook my steaks in a glowing wok, can't get a frying pan hot enough, the steaks tend to boil in their own juices with a frying pan - yuk
15 - 20 seconds on the side of the hot wok, then flip it over to the other side of the wok, don't cook it on the side that the steak has took the heat from - it needs to be very hot, 15-20 seconds later it's on the plate :emoji_fork_knife_plate: