dell inspiron n5010 3 BEEPS AND BLACK SCREEN

skyla20

I switched my laptop on and a blank black screen is visable and then 3 beeping sounds come from the laptop and then the fan starts up and becomes really loud but there is nothing on the screen and the beeping noise carrys on in a set of 3 beeps - beep beep beep, they are short beeps and in a set of three. Im not sure what to do because i cant even access my desktop, also i swapped around the ram underneathe and switched it back on and still no luck.
Can amyone help if so i would appreciate it.

At what point did this take place? Had you made any changes right before that point? The 3 short beeps tends to point to a RAM issue. Be sure that the RAM module/modules are properly seated. Try alternating sticks if available and possibly one at a time and in different slots.

At what point did this take place? Had you made any changes right before that point? The 3 short beeps tends to point to a RAM issue. Be sure that the RAM module/modules are properly seated. Try alternating sticks if available and possibly one at a time and in different slots.

Well i was just on the net on google chrome and it just went straight to a blank screen the fan just got really loud and so i switched it off and then 3 beeps came and a constant black screen and the 3 beep cycle

Take one ram stick out at a time see if that does anything also take them both out and see if anything changes, but it might ne the motherboard gone faulty which basically would mean a new laptop.

Take one ram stick out at a time see if that does anything also take them both out and see if anything changes, but it might ne the motherboard gone faulty which basically would mean a new laptop.

Yeah i took the ram out and still the same, do you think it could be the hdd

Try a reset by taking the laptop battery off and removing the power adapter then press and hold the power on button for 1 minute then put only the adapter power back(leave the battery off) then try to start it again.

EDIT::
just looked on ebay your laptop sells for around 300 quid so it might be cost effective to replace the motherboard

Last edited:
Try a reset by taking the laptop battery off and removing the power adapter then press and hold the power on button for 1 minute then put only the adapter power back(leave the battery off) then try to start it again.

EDIT::
just looked on ebay your laptop sells for around 300 quid so it might be cost effective to replace the motherboard

Did that before no luck, these laptops are such a headake to open up in order to check the hdd i have to open up everythig such headake i will probs check the mother board and see if the grapics card connections ok and cpu

Last edited:
yeah I know what you mean,I have changed loads of motherboards some are worse than others but if you are methodical its achievable, good luck:)

It does not look good for the board. Genraly you would not get any beeps if your Graphics connection had popped out. the fact you have beeps means you have a hardware problem somewhere and evidence thus far makes the board favourite. The advice to check your RAM was good (very good), and hard drive as mentioned looks unlikely (You can totaly remove it to totaly eliminate the drive should you wish). You could also connect to an external monitor to see if it is a graphics problem using the 15pin VGA connection but the beeps again suggest bad news.

If your compident\confident enough you could try reseating the CPU and appying some thermal paste, and checking various connections on the board but if you have not dropped\jolted the laptop it does not give much hope.

jodav :)

Have you attempted attaching external monitor

Yes i tried that but it just never worked nothing came up on my big screen also it does not go past the first post so i expected nothing to happen when i conmected it to my external screen

Back