Digital Tv Aerial electric splitter/booster ?

pisshead

There is no exact section for this type of post, so I thought maybe you guys in the Satellite section would have best idea about a two way electric Tv Aerial Splitter, hope it's best to post this in here for some help as I know some Sat boxes can also have dvb/t tuners etc.

Ok, I need to have two Digital Tv (terrestrial) aerial connections, one for a set top box and one going to the TV, I only have one wall output, so that's why, I remember years ago messing around with those cheap little splitters that are not electric and a lot of the time not very well shielded too, so I thought/think maybe a little electric one is the way to go, yes/no ? (picture on Tv never breaks up or anything so i'm guessing that the signal is quite good although it's impossible to tell without a signal meter I suppose.

I seen this on the Argos website and wondered if it would do the trick perfectly or if it's a really bad piece of kit ? See here >>> http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5713361

If anyone is in the know or has any other suggestions please say :) Appreciated

P.s, the feeds going to each device are only about the normal length of I think about 1 or 1.5meters.

Thanks guys :)

got me thinking now, the youview box I have has a return/output on it, so I could use that to go to the tv couldn't I ? or could I ? The youview box connects to the tv with HDMi anyway (to watch catch up tv and recorded garbage, lol), so would that youview output work and possibly be better or same as any those electric splitters ? Just a thought, that's all ?

Last edited:
Buy a power amplifier for the loft 4 way
Then it gives you more options or if your roof top areil has a mast head
Amplifier you can purchase a two way
Power unit at the tv point to run aditional cable to the other tv but remember every time you split your main areil yyou lose 4 db

Buy a power amplifier for the loft 4 way
Then it gives you more options or if your roof top areil has a mast head
Amplifier you can purchase a two way
Power unit at the tv point to run aditional cable to the other tv but remember every time you split your main areil yyou lose 4 db

even if it goes into the input of the youview and then use the output of the youview to the tv ? wouldn't that work just same as any electric splitter or maybe even better, you know what I mean ?

Trying to explain this bit better, sorry guys.

Main one from the wall output to the antenna in (digital aerial input) on youview box and one and then use the return/output on the youview and plug that into the TV digital aerial input. ?

That would work would it not ?

Am I missing something ? probably, lol

Last edited:
Is the youview box from that output on the wall working,trying to see if its a cable output dvb/c or its an aerial dvb/t

Is the youview box from that output on the wall working,trying to see if its a cable output dvb/c or its an aerial dvb/t

Yes, tv output from wall is working fine, let me try and explain again.

It's all digital tv (terrestrial), so, I have Antenna out from wall socket.

I have an old youview box that works fine which that I am trying to get connected to the tv for her to watch catchup tv and recordings etc.

The youview box has antenna in, antenna out and HDMI out.

So, can't I just plug the aerial from wall into the input of the youview box and then use the antenna out on youview and have that plugged into the tv, would that then allow the tv to tune in like a normal aerial being plugged in because the picture from the youview connects to the tv with the HDMI cable ?

You getting what I mean now ? I want the youview to work and also for the tv to be able to tune into its own digital tv aerial channels. make any sense ? LOL

edit : and the youview box has an option to switch on/off the return/output too, I can remember from before.

Last edited:
Give it a go if not try the two way power unit if your areil has a mast head amplifier Have a look at the ebook
Piping tv around the house by martin
Pickering on the sat cure website
This is the book i used when i was doing my installers course

output from youview to tv,not sure if it needs tuning into that signal.

eh, not sure what you mean ?

Surely if the youview has the output option on screen saying "would you like to use the aerial out as a return path ? if so select yes" (or something like that it says, I remember seeing it before.

Wont that then allow the output on the youview to basically act like the tv aerial coming from the wall socket in theory, yea/no ? starting to mix myself up here now, LMAO

I remember vcr had a channel for rf signal and you had to find that to receive signal,yes select yes and see what happens.

Well wait, lol, will do it tomorrow man which is now today, lol, stonned now man, think all this talk of aerial's drove me to the Mary Jane, LOL

eh, not sure what you mean ?

Surely if the youview has the output option on screen saying "would you like to use the aerial out as a return path ? if so select yes" (or something like that it says, I remember seeing it before.

Wont that then allow the output on the youview to basically act like the tv aerial coming from the wall socket in theory, yea/no ? starting to mix myself up here now, LMAO
If the youview box has a working aerial loop through then yes it will work, just try it and see, I used a splitter like this on a friends tv a few weeks ago, it worked fine, it all depends how strong the signal is.

Last edited:
just thought about something before having to move a giant unit and massive tv and loads of stuff etc, please correct me if I am wrong but doesn't youview catchup like bbc/itv/ch4/ch5 players all work from the internet connection going to the box ?

the box is/was fully tuned in and updated to latest software etc with an aerial in too, so doesn't that mean the catchup tv part of the box will work fine via ethernet cable and hdmi to TV ? I am thinking without the aerial plugged into the box it doesn't make any difference to the players as long as the box has been fully tuned in in same house with same postcode and so on ?

Hope so as the only loss would be the recording live tv function which in reality isn't required that much anyway.

Back