dish and motor

pieeater2015

TK Veteran
I have just setup the pole,the motor and the dish,all in line with each other and the pole is plum,lattitude set on the motor set to my lattitude and dish set to 40 degree declination as the instructions for the motor say,The motor is set to zero,Now what am i aiming for ,south?,a certain sat? Do i tune a sat then the box will find the other sats i choose?im useing a zgemma h1 any help appreciated

Did you use dishpointer to see what way to point your dish for a certain sat, i would do that, for instance if you are lookin for 0.8 thor (1 west}, then try and get bbc world news to as close as 100 per cent signal as you can get, and go from there.

Different methods of setting up a motorised.system.First i would check that the pole is exactly vertical Mount.the dish
And polar head with the dish forward Set the polar elevation and declination offset according to your site latitiude For example if your latitude is 55° your polar elevation will be 34.4° your. declination of.set would be 7.1° Rotate the dish.and polar head.so.that the dish points true south and
tighten the fixing bolts This can be done by using a satellite meter to find the at 1 west
The next step is to rotate the dish on the polar head to find a reference satellite to the east Astra 28 east this can be.done. by a motor positioner or by unclamping the motor and moving the dish by hand Move the dish from east to west to maximise the signal then slacked the elevation adjustment bolts peak the signal level retighten the bolts Next rotate the dish on its polar head to find a satellite to the west and maximise the signal Then without loosening the elevation.bolts flex the dish up and down to see if the signal can be increased if so the polar head must be adjusted very slightly on the mounting pole
And the whole.procedure repeated until no
Increase in the signal can be found on either east or west Then move the.dish on its polar head to find a satellite as near as
possible to true south check the signal is peaked If not you might have to readjust the declination angle setting on the dish very slightly until the signal level is peaked for all the satellite's
reference satellite

you can not go wrong with a pie,even better on a barm.im calling it a day now but ill be back to read your post woody in the morn,Nice one
If you have direct line of sight to thor Post 7 is the proper way to do it. I used 28e as a work around as I have not got line of sight to thor or anything on the west.

It may well depend on your location as when i first set up my motorised dish was about 14 years ago and 1w was my reference point, and it was quite easy to set up and all the sats fell into place nicely. I then moved into my current home 7 years ago and had to do the process all again, so i tried the same way, i set up to 1w again, but this time my sats did not fall into place correctly as they had done before, so i did a bit of research and found out that because of my new location i was supposed to set up for 5e, so once i done that, it all worked fine again, i did not use any sat meters, just my youngest son who was 14 at the time, he told me when the signal was at its best and we got it done the old fashioned way, i think dishpointer should tell you what sat to set up for, once you give your location.

Hard to beat good digital sat meter
and mini positioner with the digtal
Sat meter connected to your l.n.b
And the mini positioner powered from
The reciever you can move the dish east west zero checking the snr with each sat Very quick method for installation off motorisied systems

Havnt ever had to move my dish in the 7 years its been up, but i get 1w, up to 28e, i know theres probaly a few more sats i could get, maybe if i tinkered with the dish, but i am happy with the way it is at the minute, but yes if i ever have a reason to move it in the future i will be trying with a digital sat meter, as back 14 and even 7 years ago i didny really know much about them.

Thanks for the advice everyone,Useing the advise i moved the dish from where i had set it up because i could not get thor,But in the process of takeing the wire out of the motor i broke it,So i have a mount attached to the wall and a pole all level and plum,and as much south as anyone could need.Im hopeing i can fix the motor but that will need to wait till the weekend,Again thanks for the advise from everyone and ill keep you updated.

Horzion hdsm brilliant sat meter for
Instalation searches both the v and h
side off the transponder

Attachments

• tapatalk_jpeg_1520978458972.jpg
    tapatalk_jpeg_1520978458972.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20180319_084205.jpg
    20180319_084205.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
I could not fix the motor i broke but i have managed to get hold of another one,Just need that good weather to come back now to have a go.

if useing usals,do i set my dish and motor pointing south,then send the motor to 1w then try and adjust it after that,or do you set the dish and motor on 1 west then setup usals.

As said in post 17, when using usals you can set the dish up on any Sat, first you need to put you're coordinates into the receiver's usals settings, (Check them by Googling " You're Postcode" Longtitude Latitude), also see that each Sat has the "Motor" set to "Usals", then send the dish to whatever sat you want to set up on, preferably 28E as you should know where the dish should be pointing to & you may have the channels already tuned in, if you have then leave the receiver on a 28E channel.
Then loosen the bolts on the motor & move both the motor & dish together by hand on the pole to where you think 28E is, until you get a channel signal, you may have to adjust the elevation of the dish (not the motor) up or down to get the best signal, tighten the bolts on the motor first.
If the pole is exactly plumb & you're motor settings are correct then every other Sat should fall into place.

Last edited:
Back