Duo Newbie

5H17

Sorry peeps. These are probably daft questions from a relative sat newbie, but I'm at my wits end with this.

I've not long upgraded from an openbox S10 to a Duo (it's a legit one, not a clone). The FTA channels are fine, but other channels keep freezing sporadically. Some days it will do it every few minutes (which gets old pretty quickly!), some days it will only do it once or twice an hour. My Broadband connection is fine (although oddly it does seem to connect marginally better via wifi than via the powerline adaptors). I already created a swap file which seems to be running ok, and I have the fan set to on.

When I press OK on the remote I presume the numbers displayed (something akin to 0.259 @ blah.blahblah.org) is the ping speed to the server? When it freezes those numbers disappear completely most of the time, so I assume the line is dropping out somewhere along the line?

Also, I have noticed tonight that on a lot of pay channels the SNR seems really low... Mostly around 59-60%. Some are as low as 48-49%. BER is generally 0 though. On FTA channels the SNR is much higher (why is that exactly!?)

Which of these would you tackle first? Is the low SNR likely to cause the freezing, or should I be trying a test line from another server.

All recommendations welcome!

Back