DVLA thieving scum

pabloescaban

VIP Member
I bought a new (old!) car in December and scrapped my old banger as it was no longer viable to keep on the road.
At the scrappies, the dealer gave me the tear off strip to say it had been permanently scrapped, destroyed etc.
I sent this off on 18th December to Swansea
2nd January they took payment from my bank, £22 for tax, but i didn't notice it for a week or so and assumed they would refund it once they realised the vehicle didn't exist any longer.
I rung them about the middle of January as it hadn't been refunded, the nice chap on the other end was most sympathetic, "don't worry about it, it's a common occurence, all you need to do is send us a covering letter to this address, stating when and where you scrapped the car, sign and date it and we'll do the rest"
I did this a few days later and lo and behold, another payment cam out on 2nd Feb
I again assumed they would refund this along with the first payment
I got a letter dated 26th Feb saying they acknowledged the letter and it had got there on the 19th Febuary, any overpayment will be refunded in the next four weeks
Few days ago, yep, another payment took from the bank on the same day a letter from DVLA stating refunds are only applicable from the date of notification, not the date the vehicle was scrapped, so this is a word of warning to anyone scrapping a vehicle - STOP THE DIRECT DEBIT TO DVLA ON THE SAME DAY. - if it turns out you actually do owe part of a month, send them a cheque or pay over the phone.
Theiving ba$tard$ have robbed me of £66 and I'll bet this happens to everyone who's ever scrapped a car

yup i got stung off the dvla many years ago, scrapped a car let them know got my letter, about 3yrs later after i moved house a debt collectors letter came through for the £80 fine for non payment of road tax , spoke with the debt collectors about it they stated as its been passed on too them it has too be paid, spoke with DVLA and they say the cars never been notified as scrap and the car is untaxed still so thats why the debt has been passed on, i never had the letter any more as it was 3yr down the line, i had too pay up aswell ffs as the debt had been moved over too the debt collectors not the DVLA.

Back