MINI Edison mini crashing on 1st setup

BeakyFord

TK Veteran
I received my Edison mini about an hour ago & have used kiddacs build your own barebones guide to get me going:-

box came with OpenATV 5.2 so I set about following the instructions, the early stages the guide tells you about the plugins you need so I installed those no problem then proceeded to install an optional plugin (PerminentVDFclock) how ever something must have gone wrong & the box crashed showing the blue error screen, it is now stuck on a boot loop....urghh...!

I am thinking I need to flash the box from scratch with its base firmware & start over, this is where im struggling as I cant locate the software for this box, anyone have a link or point me in the right direction?

2nd thought was will the Edison flash from a Zgemma H2H backup or would this cause driver conflicts & fail?

I got mine in a bootloop not long after i had it (using Openvix), all i had to do was download Openvix and put the files on my USB, switch box off, plug USB in and turn box on and it starts to reflash Openvix.

is it not box specific? Can I download the latest ATV & flash as normal? IF so then will my backup for the H2H work?

You can't use a zgemma bulid on it, wrong drivers to start. can you try ftp to the box and remove the plugin. or you will have to go to the ATV site and download the image for your box if thats the image you want.

Thanks Leader thats what I thought, couldnt see it being generic, will have a look for latest ATV for Edison

its on there website at opena.tv/downloads. put on usb and reflash. if not sure how to do it you can get a help sheet from vix downloads.

Download the Edision os mini version, unzip, put the folder "osmini" in the root of the USB, turn off box, insert stick, turn on box and press ok on remote.

Last edited:
Thanks again leader I was having a brainfart & couldnt for the life in me think where to look...looked on world of sat & looked for Edison when ALL I needed to do was look for ATV :/

Ive flashed plenty of boxes so should be ok from here on in, once I get this thing up & running I may upload the image if people want it....its been a while since I have put an image together so should be interesting exercising the grey cells....wish me luck!

Last edited:
or you going to be the Beakyford Edison builds department. lol

Have fun and good luck, sleepless nights like Woosh.

Sorry to disappoint but I have seen the time & energy that you need to have after releasing a backup image so as much as Id like to give a little back for all the knowledge & help Ive gained.... NO fecking way!! lol

a little update: Well I have been having fun & games with this little box, managed to flash OpenATV 5.3 I had a little difficulty getting the USB to flash same as many other posts in the zgemma section, the USB I used I know will flash as Ive used it many times before so I went through the hddguru low level format process followed by a Windows full format before loading the image but the box passed by the USB & continued to boot without flashing despite my trying to trigger the ATV flash process by pushing the power up button on the front...?!
SO... I prepared the USB again only this time before loading the 5.3 image I decided to look inside the image folder & rename the "noforce" file to "force" then loaded the image onto the USB...This time the box detected the USB & began to flash without the need to push any button other than turning the box on! I have seen so many posts regarding USB's not flashing....changing image file from "noforce" to "force" before loading onto USB is another trick to try if you have USB flashing problems.

Continuing on with building the image I hit a number of other small issues such as plugins vanishing from the menu's after rebooting the box, to resolve I removed the plugin then installed again so far it hasn't happened again but it's odd that a plugin can show in the menu's list one minute then several restarts later it vanishes..!?!

Plugins, slyk1hd & softcams added, finished adjusting settings to how I want them, having a small problems getting timeshift to work but will look at that again later, using MGcamd & added line to newcamd.list in user/keys as normal & restarted cam, line is active & channels clearing fine.

One thing I noticed was I have had to overcome a few niggles while performing the install, these niggles are the same ones that have been covered many times in the zgemma section & I can now see that the vast majority of problem posts are not box related/box specific, by this I mean the zgemma has suffered some negativity as a result of the high level of activity & problem posts on the zgemma forum, I can confirm most of the issues I have encountered while making image's for both my new Edison mini & my 2nd gen zgemma's have been the same issues & are not a fault of ether box...user knowledge is key here not blaming the equipment because its cheap!

1st thoughts on the Edison: I wasn't impressed with the build quality of the box & the fact that it crashed almost before I got started working with it didn't fill me with confidence, the front panel looks & feels nasty, box has brushed metal effect on its plastics & Edison embossed on the top panel that kinda looks OK, the remote I have already begun to hate as it looks & feels like the cheapest of Chinese toys...simply horrid to me but the Mrs likes it...pffft.

In the few hours I've been working/using Edison mini & only having the zgemma H2H combo to compare it with in specification terms the Edison mini combo is very similar in it's performance, boot speed, channels switching, button response times are virtually the same although the Edison may have the edge in time taken when updating EPG & running service/channel scans etc.

Too early to say for sure which box I prefer as I'm sure the Edison will grow on me so its now time for the Mrs to have a play & see how the Edison mini compares to the zgemma H2H....

Last edited:
I know your pain mine has just gone back after having it unbootable for 4 days

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I saw your thread & wondered If it could be recovered... I think it probably could but IF its not playing ball sending it back is always better than doing as Beni does.... using as a buoyancy flotation device in his pool

Last edited:
Lol it nearly ended up out the window, I think it worked for about an hour

an hour....lasted longer then mine lol, the problem wasnt the box for me, it was getting the USB & software into a state that the box could read (same as your problem I think). I manage to sort it, have a look at post 13 above, if you still have the box with you do as I did above & see IF the box detects the USB once the file is changed to "force". Worth a go If you still have it...what have you got to lose?

Last edited:
an hour....lasted longer then mine lol, the problem wasnt the box for me, it was getting the USB & software in a state that the box could read (same as your problem I think). I did manage to sort it, have a look at post 13 above, if you still have the box with you do as I did above & see IF the box detects the USB once the file is changed to "force". Worth a go If you still have it...what have you got to lose?
It's just gone back to wos today so hopefully the next 1 will work longer

which OS are you going with? I've gone for ATV for now but may change to VIX in a few days once the Mrs has given ATV a good testing, I've found Vix to be a little faster than ATV in the past plus Vix is supported on the Edison

Back