MINI Edison mini crashing on 1st setup

My build is without all the bells'n'whistles, I have installed kiddacs skin but not setup picons or overwritten any core components so my build has not got EPG tabs or any of those glitzy extra's so it may not be to the polished standards we are used to seeing, I like my builds to be a basic with as little as possible installed to make the box quick. From following the slyk1 thread it became clear the masses want it all so my build probably wouldn't appeal to many.
I will be playing around with this Edison for a while & probably have a look at a VIX build at some point.

Last edited:
Look forward to following your progress :)

Mine is on kiddacs at the moment as well........to show the wife similarities to what shes used to......but for now the box is for me until a sub runs out, so am open to trying various things ;)

As u may realise I'm so new to this and I have I only had a v8s before so this has actually drove me insane :) when u set your edisions up I.e. cam stuff how the hell did u do it, thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

update: OK so Ive been getting used to this Edison OS mini & my 1st impression wasn't a positive one after getting a crash report within the 1st hour of using it, this was my own fault for trying to load a plugin it didnt need so I can forgive it for that, next was the remote that didn't & still doesn't impress me but I am getting the feel for it...putting those two thing to one side the box is actually quite good, as fast if not faster than the 2nd generation zgemma's. I have tested it with both ATV 5.3 & VIX 4.03 both installed without issue but VIX was slower to install from the USB but made the time back by having crossepg, xmltv-importer & softcams already included in the flash so required less effort assembling the build.

Having run both ATV & VIX for a few days I am convinced VIX is smoother with less glitching/freezing, the Edison is slightly more desirable than the 2nd gen zgemma as it has some extra features such as bluetooth & easy of streaming but by far the best thing for me is that the Edison allows ota updates for VIX.

I cant really fault the 2nd gen zgemma's but for the extra £20'ish the Edison has a lot to offer, as an end user just watching tv you will notice very little between them but IF you use the features like streaming, bluetooth & so on then you will love the Edison. I am still a fan of the 2nd gen zgemma but can see myself being pulled towards the Edison...IF only they had a better remote!!!

Ok so I've ditched my zgemma's for the edision's, I wanted official vix support as it's my preferred image so the boxes will be a lot easier and less faffing to keep up to date. First impressions are very good boxes are just as quick if not slightly quicker then my h2s and were just as easy to setup, had them both up and running with everything how I like it in a few hours. I agree about the remote I wouldn't say I hate it but it's defiantly not as nice to hold or as easy to navigate as the zgemma but I guess I will get used to it over time.
I loved my zgemma's they served me well and would never knock them, for the price they are great receivers particularly the second gen models, I think if I had learned with open atv from the off I would probably still have them, but I learned with vix and got really used to it, tried atv but couldn't get used to it and always went back to vix and what I knew well, although I got used to updating vix on the zgemma I just wanted the use of OTA updates, with the latest vix not playing well on the zgemma that's what made my mind up to go with the edision's, for the extra £20 it's worth it for the official vix support and the extra hardware features are a bonus, I've sold the zgemma's and paid back a big chunk off the price of the two edision's so not complaining, all in all it's ended up costing me £70 to upgrade to the edision's and very happy with my decision, they are really good boxes for the price.

One thing I haven't managed to figure out yet is what is the red light for on the led display? I've seen it in the pictures illuminated but haven't seen it lit on my boxes.

Last edited:
I think the red light on the front is for recording.

I'm nearly about to bite the bullet and buy an Edision OS Mini next week and coming from an openbox v8s i know i have a big learning curve ahead of me. I will stick with vix for now and see how easy or hard these are to set up.

Some reading to be done :)

No the red light doesn't illuminate when recording which I presumed originally it would, the display just changes from the time to the letters REC when a recording starts, I've looked everywhere to try to find out what the bloody red light means but can't fine anything!

Just got my Edision OS Mini, it came with openvix and i have it working quite quickly by some miracle, thanks to the guide on here.

But how do you sort the channels out ?

I have the virmin tuner off for now and just setting up the sly.

Thanks

Ok thanks for the reply No1gooner, i have had a play at editing some of the channels using open webif on my pc so that seems to work, i've changed a few.

But i just wondered if there was a bouquet channel list to download like the cwaite channel list as that has all the channels in a nice order as most are sd on sly, and at the moment even though they are categorized there are so many hd channels that i know don't work.

also as i'm not going to be recording do i need a usb pen drive always plugged in for any reason ?

Thanks..

You will need a usb to save your epg data to you don't want that saving to the internel flash, I'm sure dsayers has a custom bouquet file or something that arranges the channels nicely on virmin and sly.

ok thanks again, i will put a usb drive in the box and set it to save there.

i have a spare 128gb sdd so i will use that, then i can record if i want that way.

i will pm dsayers about the channel list.

so you did not read bees thread in setting up these boxes and you dont want abm to do your bouquets?

Ok I'm falling asleep here I will have a read tomorrow, I can't see anything on post 25, just someone else asking for help.

thanks anyway for your help.

dslayer kindly helped me in a pm but I can't find a custom section in the Auto bouquet menu.

Back