External hard drive.

johjol

Can someone recommend an external hard drive please. Is an external powered one better than a USB powered drive? Also, is there any value in an SSD drive or will the USB connection negate any benefit from it? Thanks for your help.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

yes powered externally is better by mains and controlled by usb,think i have 3 or 4 toshiba canvio externally powered.

Externally powered ones are better as it doesn't need to draw any power from the stb but people have also reported issues with externally powered ones with them going into sleep mode and not waking up but as long as you buy one that's been recommended / proven to work ok as @cactikid mentions above - the toshiba canvio ones then you should be fine.

like @cactikid I run a Toshiba Canvio, but I use the usb powered one without issue. I think how it is powered these days is down to personal preference

I don't think there is much benefit to an SSD connected via USB.
I always use SSD's on my boxes with internal hard drives but that is more to reduce heat and noise rather than for the speed.

Ive tried usb powered externally powered and just usb sticks...my zgem just randomly freezes. Think its going to ebay...

Ive tried usb powered externally powered and just usb sticks...my zgem just randomly freezes. Think its going to ebay...

The box freezes or the channels freeze? - if it's the picture, can you do other things on the box whilst the picture is frozen?

sounds like what vix has on older boxes and spinning logo?

box is under stress,what is on box picons and where is epg going to?

The only time i've seen a box hang like this is when it's not been configured correctly or plugins have been installed that freeze the box.

Have your tried it without a usb device plugged in to see what happens?

I can try but to me that then is defeating the entire purpose of why I purchased...i.e to replace virmin

Back