FAQ: Should I Buy A Cable Box?

Thanks for the great OP Ste. I've learned a lot from your posts. I have a Zgemma H2H with active VM bb connection. The problem that I have when using a splitter is that the superhub 3 stops working and says there isn't an internet connection. When I remove the splitter and plug the superhub straight to the virgin line the issue is gone.
I am replacing the splitter with a Technetix one that you recommended on another thread, I was just wondering whether I need to do anything else to prevent the superhub 3 from having this issue in the future ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Good splitter and good cables "should" do the trick ... sometimes, it's a process of elimination but you're going in the right direction :)

can anyone help me when i search for channels autobouquets maker cannot read data on zgemma h2h cable side thanks

can anyone help me when i search for channels autobouquets maker cannot read data on zgemma h2h cable side thanks

You really need to start a thread with your problem - this is an FAQ.

In your thread, state if you have connected a V*rgin line to your RF IN port and if you've entered your net id.

Hello All

First of all great thread!

I am thinking to switching to VM after all the Sly Sports are gone with my existing Sat line.
Q: On VM website it says I can get Cable. Would I need to take out a 1 month TV only package (already got BB from a different supplier) and get the official VM box.

Cancel then buy a Zgemma Cable box and add a VM line to the Zgemma box? Would VM take away the official box?

Cheers
Supercoo

it doesn't matter if its tv box or virmin router, you just need a live feed. if you cancelled within the 14 days all virmin equipment gets returned anyway.

it doesn't matter if its tv box or virmin router, you just need a live feed. if you cancelled within the 14 days all virmin equipment gets returned anyway.

Thank you for the quick reply.

I would still need VM to get the feed to my home? I have a white box in my living room which has the normal aerial and sat connections.

Looks like my trusted zgemma star 2s will need to be retired lol.

Hello All

First of all great thread!

I am thinking to switching to VM after all the Sly Sports are gone with my existing Sat line.
Q: On VM website it says I can get Cable. Would I need to take out a 1 month TV only package (already got BB from a different supplier) and get the official VM box.

Cancel then buy a Zgemma Cable box and add a VM line to the Zgemma box? Would VM take away the official box?

Cheers
Supercoo

If you have never had VM services in your home, you wont have a VM white box in your house I imagine?

quick-start-image02.jpg

If this is the case, you will need to get a Virgin service installed at your home - you can get the smallest broadband or tv package possible and cancel it within 14 days which will leave you with a live connection to connect a zgemma box up to which would then clear the VM channels with a VM gift. VM would ask you to return their equipment but if it's only the TV box you wouldn't need it anyway.

If you have never had VM services in your home, you wont have a VM white box in your house I imagine?

quick-start-image02.jpg

If this is the case, you will need to get a Virgin service installed at your home - you can get the smallest broadband or tv package possible and cancel it within 14 days which will leave you with a live connection to connect a zgemma box up to which would then clear the VM channels with a VM gift. VM would ask you to return their equipment but if it's only the TV box you wouldn't need it anyway.

Hello thank you for your helpful reply.

Yes never had VM installed. I believe I now know what needs to be done.

It is a matter of getting VM feed now or holding out until the footy returns in August :-)

One quick last question, have people been able to use the box VM supplies to add their VM gift? If not I'll probably invest in getting a Zgemma cable box.

Lets hope VM continues to work! Love the footy

Yes, you would need to get VM installed then... why wait - better to get it set up and start saving straight away. You never know how long CS is going to last on cable so the sooner you get it, the more chance you have of making a good saving.

You cannot load a VM gift onto an official VM box - you will need another box with a DVB-C tuner as mentioned earlier in this thread :)

hi the info on here is superb, can I ask this please my open box used to freeze quite a lot on sat, which is the best route to go down do think cable or s*y thanks in advance

hi the info on here is superb, can I ask this please my open box used to freeze quite a lot on sat, which is the best route to go down do think cable or s*y thanks in advance

Not many channels clear anymore on S*y that's why most people who live in a cabled area are now opting for a cable box.

If you are in a cable area cable is the way to go as ste mentioned

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Brilliant thread. Zgemma almost setup. Gone for a labgear splitter which I mentioned on a another thread. Ordered a webro wf100. Unfortunately realised I need two when I tried to connect. Can connect the webro to the zgemma. Just bought the cable below from screwfix. Made by philex. Want to watch the footy tonight so don't wanna wait as will have to wait if I order online. If I connect this cable to router will it do the job? Will I encounter any issues? Or is it a case see how it goes. Is it a good brand? The cable is silver inside and not copper and thinner than webro.

Once connected how will I be able to tell its up for the job and it's all OK. Not opened so read comments before I do.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/satellite-lead-f-plug-to-f-plug-1m/61186

I have used one of those cables before for satellite but never for cable - it might work fine but you may get some signal loss so as you predicted, it will just be a case of trying it and see how it goes.

Hi @ste - Great write up btw.

Is there a 3 way splitter you recommend? I know about the 2 way in screwfix but cannot find 3 way in their store. Thanks.

Back