Faulty Diseqc

steptoe

VIP Member
whats the likelihood of a Diseqc switch going faulty?
I have 2 boxes connected to 2 x diseqc switches, each switch having 3 x LNBs,
one of my boxes has lost one LNB, I've swapped the LNB feeds over and its still not showing on that box,
I suppose my next stepis to swap over the inputs and see if a different LNB disappears,
so far I've only tried LNB 3 on ports 3 & 4 , no show on either, will try it on ports 1 & 2 tomorrow, both LNBs on those ports are showing as TUNER LOCKED
my 2nd box on the other diseqc shows all 3 LNBs , even with LNB feed swapped across both the diseqc switches the 2nd box picks it up,

OK,
I may be mistaken,
just checked a few more transponders on my 2nd box,
signal levels seemed to have dropped dramatically, they werent brilliant to start with, and quite a few TPs I couldnt get at all,
so , tomorrow, I think its going to be try swapping the LNBs over, see what difference that makes,
its 13e that is messing about, 28 and 19 are both good,
strength 90%
quality 75-80% + on most TPs,

13e was wobbling around 60% quality at best, on one box, the other box, an E2 one simply failed to lock a tuner on it at all.

OK,
I may be mistaken,
just checked a few more transponders on my 2nd box,
signal levels seemed to have dropped dramatically, they werent brilliant to start with, and quite a few TPs I couldnt get at all,
so , tomorrow, I think its going to be try swapping the LNBs over, see what difference that makes,
its 13e that is messing about, 28 and 19 are both good,
strength 90%
quality 75-80% + on most TPs,

13e was wobbling around 60% quality at best, on one box, the other box, an E2 one simply failed to lock a tuner on it at all.
Hi, just wondering could it be your LNB setup that's giving you a bad signal at 13E, I was looking at one of your photos in your "Multi lnb 65cm dish UK" post, & each LNB seems to be equal distances apart, I found this photo online of a similar setup, showing what I would think would be the correct spacings, the lnb bracket seems to be set at an angle as well.
It's only a suggestion, I hope it helps, - Mike.

c.jpg

Hi, just wondering could it be your LNB setup that's giving you a bad signal at 13E, I was looking at one of your photos in your "Multi lnb 65cm dish UK" post, & each LNB seems to be equal distances apart, I found this photo online of a similar setup, showing what I would think would be the correct spacings, the lnb bracket seems to be set at an angle as well.

View attachment 25019

I think thats a pretty big dish @mike142
I've been using my F5 to check signal levels as its a lot further run from the dish than the E2, by about 25m,!
I was getting really good signals on my F5 [second box] on 28 and 19, and OK-ish ones on 13, my E2 tuned in all 3 sats,
but now my E2 cant lock onto 13e at all, and my signal levels have dropped lots on my F5,
swapping the feeds between the boxes on 13 and my E2 still cant lock on, and my F5 has dropped to a lot of TPs not even being available now,
I'm going to try swapping over my 19 LNB for my 13 LNB tomorrow if weather permits, after I've checked the cables obviously, will swap them over first. use the 19 cables for the 13 LNB,
I did originally have reasonable [ I thought ] signal on all 3 sats, 65% + on 13e [on my F5 ], but that has dropped to 50% and when I swap cables over its not there at all,
and my E2 did tune it in originally, but now it wont lock the tuner on at all, on either cable.
thats why I'm now thinking dodgy LNB

View attachment 25019
but, you know what,
I'll go mad tomorrow and push the 13 right up against the 19 and see what happens, then try moving it apart slowly, just in case somehow by accident its getting some sort of secondary reflection.
worth a try, nothing to lose.

or, is that dish pointed between 13 and 19.?

I think thats a pretty big dish @mike142
I've been using my F5 to check signal levels as its a lot further run from the dish than the E2, by about 25m,!
I was getting really good signals on my F5 [second box] on 28 and 19, and OK-ish ones on 13, my E2 tuned in all 3 sats,
but now my E2 cant lock onto 13e at all, and my signal levels have dropped lots on my F5,
swapping the feeds between the boxes on 13 and my E2 still cant lock on, and my F5 has dropped to a lot of TPs not even being available now,
I'm going to try swapping over my 19 LNB for my 13 LNB tomorrow if weather permits, after I've checked the cables obviously, will swap them over first. use the 19 cables for the 13 LNB,
I did originally have reasonable [ I thought ] signal on all 3 sats, 65% + on 13e [on my F5 ], but that has dropped to 50% and when I swap cables over its not there at all,
and my E2 did tune it in originally, but now it wont lock the tuner on at all, on either cable.
thats why I'm now thinking dodgy LNB
That's okay, I just thought changing the spacing might improve the signal as well, I hope you get it sorted - Mike.

That's okay, I just thought changing the spacing might improve the signal as well, I hope you get it sorted - Mike.
cant be anything too major, dish is in same position, 28 and 19 are still good,
so I'm pinning it on equipment failure somewhere,
only got 3 options,
cable, LNB , or diseqc ,I'm now fairly sure I've eliminated diseqc, can always bypass if needed, and I'm fairly sure cable is ok, so,will swap cable, then swap LNB, if still issue, then bypass diseqc, and then it will be obvious, LMFAO, :xd: :dying: :dead:

well @mike142
am I glad I'm not married to you,
I'd have to admit you were right, :grimacing:
pushed 13 up tight against 19 and
BAM
bejaysus, there it was,
signal 90%
quality 70%
but some TPs simple have nothing, obviously my LNB isnt over far enough,
so, I think that brings me to the conclusion that a 65cm dish needs the sats to be 7degrees apart, in NW England anyway.
mmmmm, wonder if she'd notice if I got an 80 up someday she wasnt around,,,,,,,,, :rolleyes:

well @mike142
am I glad I'm not married to you,
I'd have to admit you were right, :grimacing:
pushed 13 up tight against 19 and
BAM
bejaysus, there it was,
signal 90%
quality 70%
but some TPs simple have nothing, obviously my LNB isnt over far enough,
so, I think that brings me to the conclusion that a 65cm dish needs the sats to be 7degrees apart, in NW England anyway.
mmmmm, wonder if she'd notice if I got an 80 up someday she wasnt around,,,,,,,,, :rolleyes:
No matter the size of the dish, the spacing will always be the same distance as the Sats are apart, (just like in the photo),
You could try moving the dish slightly to the right to see if the signal at 13E increases, then move the 28E lnb further out, try and make the spacing between 19E lnb & 28E lnb the same as in the photo, angling the bracket could help as well.
You could even try the 19E & 28E lnbs on the right side of the arm and focusing the dish at 13E.
I'm putting a new channel list up here - http://www.techkings.org/threads/openbox-v8s-multi-lnb-channel-list-28e-19e-13e.128494/#post-775543

No matter the size of the dish, the spacing will always be the same distance as the Sats are apart, (just like in the photo),
You could try moving the dish slightly to the right to see if the signal at 13E increases, then move the 28E lnb further out, try and make the spacing between 19E lnb & 28E lnb the same as in the photo, angling the bracket could help as well.
You could even try the 19E & 28E lnbs on the right side of the arm and focusing the dish at 13E.
I'm putting a new channel list up here - http://www.techkings.org/threads/openbox-v8s-multi-lnb-channel-list-28e-19e-13e.128494/#post-775543

might try that plan of action over the weekend,
the bracket already came preformed with a slight curve, it looks the exact one in your picture, but, I dont have mine set at such a large angle, mine is less sloped than that, so will try that first.l

Talking to a sat installer as i use a sky dish for 13 and he said it was too small and needed up sizing to an 80cm dish

On a possible faulty diseqc is it a port that goes down and if switching to another one will work again.
I thought i had a box tuner issue on a diseqc switch when 19.2 was 0% and tuners switched.
swapped with another box and still says 0% .
Sat installer fitted new lnb and redid f connections on lnb and diseqc and box had a signal on 19.2 but gone again .
Must need a new feed to diseqc or try without it with cables joined.

With 80cm dish switching between 13 19
My snr on the v and h side off the transponder
Hotbird 98 h 88 v 19.2 h 98 v 90
Automatic scan 3300 channels
Would the faulty switch not drop your s.n.r
To 40 or 0
Might be time to install the 80cm dish
When the boss is out shopping

Motorised is a big triax unsure if 80 or 1m.
Ongoing issue for 1 month as thought it was an old lnb which was replaced and was working ,next day gone.
Yes was looking into another fixed 80 dish does it have to be solid or mesh ok as wanted 2 x quad lnbs for 13 and 19.
Never used a diseqc before as my runs are cables galore but this time i had 3 feeds but unsure if they worked as normally see tuner A B C D in use.

Just use solid inverto 25 pound
Vanjak rigging supplies had the multi l.n.b set
Up took it down then the motorisied system
Took it down Then last night set up the monblock My s.n r with the monblock was
Excellent
This picture is off the motorisied set up
Using mini positioner to fine tune each satellite

Attachments

• 20190526_153831.jpg
    20190526_153831.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20190526_153826.jpg
    20190526_153826.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 8
Sat installer out today fitted 80 cm dish 2 quads and saorview outside aerial and how much better signal is on the same size dish as motorised and explained as its not fixed can be slightly out in movement from sat to sat and possibly 15 years old.

On reflection if new installs are needed just have a 1 metre dish with many lnbs and 1 or more feeds per sat as needed and forget about motorised.
Having only 1 big dish all cables are grouped together and having other sat dishes more cables mean more mess.
Unicable is all new to me and reducing cable runs maybe more expensive but looks better.

That was always the problem with motorisied
System's thats why i took my 1.1 traix dish
Down unicable l.n.b is the way forward
Less cables less connections less problems

Back