Fearing free online image storage

sonesh

I'm of the dying facebook generation, so a bit behind on the times, but I was talking to my nephew yesterday, and he was telling me about how great Snapchat is and how I should get on board. His big sell was 'Unlimited free storage of your images', to which my immediate thought was... but what happens to your pictures when Snapchat goes the way of MySpace (which he'd never heard of)?

Someone please tell me that I'm not the last person on this Earth that likes his pictures (memories) stored in a Windows file system located in my house?

I keep backups in the cloud (paid for) in case of emergency, but that's precisely what they are. Identical backups of the originals.

I fear for the millions of people who have had a prompt on their phone saying "Would you like me to store your images for you? It'll give you lots of space on your phone!", only to find in 10-20 years those images have been reduced in quality to a blurry mess, or worse removed altogether. Only a few weeks ago, Facebook notified me of memories from a few years ago, but clicking on the image didn't show me a high res original from the day, but a "Page Cannot be found" message.

The day when our grandchildren can go digging through a box in the attic and find a load of photographs (or in my case USB sticks filled with photographs), and think about how the oldies used to look/live are numbered

Back